Speed VS Time to Position VS Time

In summary, to convert the Speed vs Time graph of an airplane taking off into a Position vs Time Graph, first bring both quantities into a system of units such as SI. Then, use the relationship between displacement and speed and plot the values of displacement for each given time on the graph. This should result in a curvy (parabolic) figure. Finally, to convert the speed to position, multiply the speed by 60² and divide the time by the result. Alternatively, you can divide the speed by 60² instead of multiplying it.
gagneana000

Homework Statement

Convert this Speed vs Time graph of an airplane taking off into a Position vs Time Graph.
SvT.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to begin... Please help! I have Graph paper and will make the PvT graph on there. I am only in 8th grade and know barely any Physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wheres the image?

The legend said:
wheres the image?

Sorry, It's here now!

first thing bring both qtys into SI or any particular system you want.(careful about the units) .

now think geometry and graphs
what is the relation between displacement and speed. How can you relate the quantities given and get displacement(which is as good as position starting from origin in this case).

Get values of displacement for t=1,2,3 and so on and plot them on your graph.
you should get a curvy(parabolic) figure.

The legend said:
first thing bring both qtys into SI or any particular system you want.(careful about the units) .

now think geometry and graphs
what is the relation between displacement and speed. How can you relate the quantities given and get displacement(which is as good as position starting from origin in this case).

Get values of displacement for t=1,2,3 and so on and plot them on your graph.
you should get a curvy(parabolic) figure.
SI? What's that?

ah just a system of units for measuring...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Name Unit symbol
metre m length
kilogram kg mass m
second s time tThe above will be important for you. convert the speed into miles/seconds(or meter/second if you wish) which originally in miles/hour.

Then solve..

The speed to miles per second... so would i just multiply the speed by 60²? And after doing that, how would I change the speed to position? Would I divide the time by the speed to get it?

I'm actually now thinking I should divide by 60²

What is the relationship between speed and time to position?

The relationship between speed and time to position is that as speed increases, the time required to reach a certain position also decreases. This is because speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, and the faster an object moves, the less time it takes to reach a specific position.

How does time affect an object's position?

Time directly affects an object's position. The longer an object moves, the further it will travel and thus, its position will change. On the other hand, if an object remains stationary, its position will not change over time.

What is the difference between speed and time to position?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while time to position is the amount of time it takes for an object to reach a specific position. Speed is a scalar quantity, while time to position is a measure of time, which is a scalar quantity. In other words, speed describes how fast an object is moving, while time to position describes how long it takes for the object to reach a specific position.

How is position calculated from speed and time?

Position can be calculated from speed and time using the formula: position = speed x time. This formula is based on the concept that speed is the rate of change of position over time. By multiplying speed by time, we can determine the distance an object has traveled, which is its position.

How is speed calculated from time and position?

Speed can be calculated from time and position using the formula: speed = position / time. This formula is based on the concept that speed is the rate of change of position over time. By dividing the position by the time, we can determine the object's speed, which is the distance it has traveled divided by the time it took.