Taking Calc 2 Pass/Fail: Is This a Good Idea?

• Thread starter Tripoli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 2
In summary, the individual is considering taking Calculus 2 as a pass/fail course in order to reduce stress and focus on other demanding courses. However, there are concerns about this decision potentially causing issues in the future, particularly for those planning to major in physics or pursue graduate studies in economics. While the school policy allows for a limited number of pass/fail credits, it is advised to speak with an academic advisor before making a decision. Taking Calculus 2 pass/fail may not be the best option for those with serious academic or career goals.
Tripoli
Hey everyone. I'm planning on taking calc 2 this semester in addition to some other demanding courses. Since I'm hoping to at least minor in physics, I know the class is important for later and I will take it seriously. However, I'd like to take it pass/fail to make this semester much less stressful.

Calc2 at my school has a reputation for being tough (so does calc1). I took calc 1 here and although I got an A, I lost quite a few points throughout the semester making minor errors since the grading is quite harsh. I'm thinking that if I'm not so nervous before exams and not so bent out of shape over getting a good grade I can learn just as much minus the anxiety.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Obviously the concern is that I end up half-assing the class and have trouble in the future because of it. I've never taken a class pass/fail and I'm not sure calc2 is the type of class that should be taken this way.
I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, you actually get to chose whether or not it's graded or only pass/fail?!

I think you should check your school policy better.At my school I am not allowed to take an in major course or a prerequisite to one with a pass/ fail.From what I know it usually works that way in schools that offer a pass/fail option.

P.S.
Calc2 is certainly not a course that you should take as pass/fail if you intend to be a physics major.It is a course you should take as pass/fail if you are an art student who really wants to do integrals.

Last edited:
bp_psy said:
I think you should check your school policy better.At my school I am not allowed to take an in major course or a prerequisite to one with a pass/ fail.From what I know it usually works that way in schools that offer a pass/fail option.

P.S.
Calc2 is certainly not a course that you should take as pass/fail if you intend to be a physics major.It is a course you should take as pass/fail if you are an art student who really wants to do integrals.

This.

What exactly are you majoring in?

@Joker: we are allowed to take a limited number of credits as pass/fail depending on the class
@bp: I looked at the policy and while I'm not allowed to take major courses as pass fail, it doesn't say anything about prerequisites. However, I get your point and see that it's not a good idea to take it pass/fail
@Dougg: I'm majoring in economics.

The reason I was thinking about taking it pass/fail was because I'm taking two fairly difficult economics classes and my final foreign language class (I hate foreign language) and by taking it pass/fail I would have a more relaxing semester by not worrying about the grade. But, it seems like this would be a bad idea, so thanks for your advice.

You need to talk to somebody at your school who knows its policies. Do you have a faculty member assigned to you as an academic advisor?

I don't know about anything else that much, but, if you want to go to graduate economics schools (fairly decent ones) Calculus 1-3 is a prerequisite. Taking a pass/fail course would give a bad signal to adcoms. In many other aspects I would advice you against it.

1. Is it better to take Calc 2 for a letter grade or pass/fail?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and goals. If you are confident in your ability to excel in the course and maintain a high letter grade, it may be more beneficial to take it for a letter grade. However, if you are struggling in the course or have other classes that require more of your attention, taking it pass/fail can help alleviate some stress and allow you to focus on your other courses.

2. How will taking Calc 2 pass/fail affect my GPA?

Since pass/fail courses do not factor into your GPA, taking Calc 2 pass/fail will not have any impact on your GPA. However, if you receive a passing grade, the course will still count towards your overall credit hours and can fulfill any necessary prerequisites for future courses.

3. Will taking Calc 2 pass/fail look bad on my transcript?

Not necessarily. Many universities are allowing students to take courses pass/fail due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Admissions committees and employers are aware of this and will likely be understanding of your decision. However, if you are planning on pursuing a graduate degree or a career in a math or science-related field, it may be beneficial to take the course for a letter grade to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject.

4. Are there any restrictions on taking Calc 2 pass/fail?

It is important to check with your university to see if there are any restrictions or limitations on taking courses pass/fail. Some universities may have a limit on the number of pass/fail courses you can take, or certain majors may require all courses to be taken for a letter grade. Additionally, some universities may not allow pass/fail courses to fulfill major or minor requirements.

5. How will taking Calc 2 pass/fail impact my future opportunities?

Again, it depends on your individual situation and goals. If you are planning on pursuing a graduate degree or a career in a math or science-related field, it may be more beneficial to take the course for a letter grade to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject. However, if you are not planning on pursuing further education in these areas, taking the course pass/fail will not likely have a significant impact on your future opportunities.