Does graphing equations ever stop?

• Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, graphing by hand in high school level calculus can be tedious and boring, but it is an important skill to learn. However, there are programs that can do it for you, and as you advance in math and physics, you may use this technique less frequently. It is also possible to gain enough experience to be able to quickly sketch a graph without going through point by point. Despite the advancements in technology, the cost of TI calculators and textbooks remain high, but the ability to graph by hand is still a useful skill to have.
kramer733
Currently in calculus high school level and everytime i graph an equation, i want to shoot myself. It's the most boring thing in the world to do. Does it get worse if i want to get myself into math? Does graphing ever stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphing by hand, you mean? It's often useful to see what a function looks like on a graph, but there are programs that do it for you. I assume right now, you're doing it by hand just to get a feel for what the first derivative and the second derivative do to a function. Mins, maxes, inflection points, etc.

So yeah, the graphing by hand stops, but the experience you gain from doing that will always be useful, as long as you do anything with functions.

hi kramer733! :smile:

yes it stops once you leave school

(sometimes you may have to roughly sketch a graph, for example if they ask you to find the volume between two surfaces, but you won't need to do it accurately)

i'm afraid it's one of the things that are useful to learn at school so that you know how they work later :wink:

Yes, high school made me waste $100 on a TI when I can just use Maple or Mathematica...

flyingpig said:
Yes, high school made me waste $100 on a TI when I can just use Maple or Mathematica...

Not to get off topic, but as computing power has gotten better and cheaper, why hasn't the cost of TI calculators gone down? It's almost to the point where I could build a handheld computer to run mathematica for less than buying a TI-89.

Jack21222 said:
Not to get off topic, but as computing power has gotten better and cheaper, why hasn't the cost of TI calculators gone down? It's almost to the point where I could build a handheld computer to run mathematica for less than buying a TI-89.

The same question goes for "why are textbooks so expensive when we can just download them from the Internet"

Often times when you have a non-algebraic equation that you cannot solve exactly, the next best method is to simply graph it. So, since the equations you run into get more and more difficult as you advance in mathematics and physics, you actually use this technique more and more often.

kramer733 said:
Does graphing ever stop?

No, but you usually can use a computer to do the graphing.

Also after you've done it enough, you don't have to graph things point by point. If you give me a polynomial equation, I can pretty much sketch out what the graph looks like, without going through point by point.

What is an important skill, which you can pick up is to be able to look at the equation and then quickly draw the graph on a sheet of graph paper without doing it point by point.

Also something that you should try to do if you get bored is to figure out patterns so that you can do the graph quickly. For example, if you have an equation of the form ax+b, then you should be able to figure out that once you've graphed two points, you are done.

1. Does graphing equations ever stop?

Yes, graphing equations can stop when the desired data has been plotted and analyzed. However, the process of graphing is continuous and can be repeated as new data or variables are introduced.

2. Why is graphing equations important?

Graphing equations allows us to visually represent data and patterns, making it easier to understand and analyze complex relationships. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data.

3. How do you determine the best type of graph for an equation?

The type of graph used for an equation depends on the type of data and the relationship between the variables. For example, a line graph is best for showing trends over time, while a bar graph is useful for comparing categories.

4. Can graphing equations be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, graphing equations can be used in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. It is a universal tool for visualizing and analyzing data.

5. Are there any limitations to graphing equations?

Graphing equations has some limitations, such as the inability to show all possible data points and the possibility of misinterpreting the data if the graph is not properly labeled. It is also limited to the accuracy of the data being used.