Solving a Physics Problem: Car Drives Off a Cliff

• Thread starter eliassiguenza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Physics
In summary: In this case, since the car is falling, g will be negative, so you will have v(t)=v_0-gt. To find the impact velocity, you can use the fact that at impact, the car will have traveled a distance of 30 meters (since it is falling off a 30 meter cliff). So you can set the equation for distance equal to 30 and solve for the time, then plug that time into the equation for velocity to find the impact velocity. In summary, to find the distance from the base of the cliff where the car lands, you can use the equation r=\frac{v_0^2\sin(2\theta)}{g}. To find the impact velocity, you can use
eliassiguenza

Homework Statement

A stunt man drives a car at a speed 20m/s off a 30m high cliff. The road leading to the cliff is inclined upward at an angle of 20 degrees.

How far from the base of the cliff does the car land?

What is the car's impact speed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of just doing some old fashion R = V initial ^2 sin 2 alpha/g

since V = dx/dt

dt = dx/V

=30/ Sin alpha

now that I know dt y multiply by v cos alpha to then add it to R.
Apparently I'm wrong, could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
eliassiguenza said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of just doing some old fashion R = V initial ^2 sin 2 alpha/g
You are correct; you can use [tex]r=\frac{v_0^2\sin(2\theta)}{g}[/tex].

To find the impact velocity, what kinematic equation relates range and time?

Then, what equation gives velocity in y as a function of time?

[/QUOTE]
now that I know dt y multiply by v cos alpha to then add it to R.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was meant to type and I multiply now, at impact shouldn't be
Vfinal = V initial + 1/2 gt ^2
?

Thanx For Helping! =)

eliassiguenza said:
now that I know dt y multiply by v cos alpha to then add it to R.

Sorry I was meant to type and I multiply now, at impact shouldn't be
Vfinal = V initial + 1/2 gt ^2
?Thanx For Helping! =)

[tex]\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex] will give you distance. The equation for velocity as a function of time is [tex]v(t)=v_0+gt[/tex], where the sign of g depends on what direction you call positive.

Last edited:

Solving this physics problem involves using the equations of motion to determine the distance and impact speed of the car as it drives off the cliff. To start, we can use the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at^2 to find the distance the car travels in the horizontal direction before reaching the edge of the cliff. In this case, v0 is the initial velocity of the car, which is 20 m/s, and a is the acceleration due to gravity, which is -9.8 m/s^2. We also know that the angle of the road is 20 degrees, so we can use trigonometry to find the vertical component of the car's initial velocity, which is v0y = v0sin(20). This will be the initial velocity in the vertical direction, and we can use it in the equation vf = v0 + at to find the time it takes for the car to reach the edge of the cliff.

Once we have the time, we can use it to find the horizontal distance traveled using the first equation. Then, we can use the equation vf^2 = v0^2 + 2ad to find the impact speed of the car when it reaches the ground. In this equation, vf is the final velocity, which we can find using the initial velocity in the vertical direction and the time we calculated earlier.

Using these equations, we can solve for the distance from the base of the cliff and the impact speed of the car. It is important to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Additionally, it is helpful to draw a diagram and label all known quantities before starting the calculations. This will help to ensure that you are using the correct equations and plugging in the correct values.

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of the car?

To calculate the initial velocity of the car, you will need to know the distance the car traveled horizontally and the height of the cliff. Use the formula v0 = √(g * h), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and h is the height of the cliff in meters.

2. What is the maximum height the car will reach?

The maximum height the car will reach can be calculated using the formula hmax = (v0)2 / (2 * g), where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the car is launched at an angle of 90 degrees from the horizontal.

3. How do I determine the time it takes for the car to hit the ground?

You can use the formula t = √(2h / g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height of the cliff, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the car is launched at an angle of 90 degrees from the horizontal.

4. Can air resistance be ignored in this problem?

In most cases, air resistance can be ignored when solving a physics problem involving a car driving off a cliff. This is because the effect of air resistance is minimal compared to the force of gravity acting on the car. However, if the car is traveling at a high speed or has a large surface area, the effect of air resistance may need to be taken into consideration.

5. What is the best approach for solving this problem?

The best approach for solving this problem is to first identify the known values, such as the distance the car travels horizontally and the height of the cliff. Then, use the appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the unknown values, such as the initial velocity or the maximum height. It is also important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the calculations.