Electric Field of Non-Conducting Sheets.

In summary, three infinitely large non-conducting sheets with uniform surface charge densities of +2x10^-6c/m^2, +4x10^-6c/m^2, and -5.0x10^-6c/m^2 are placed at a distance of 1.6cm from each other. The magnitude and direction of the net electric field at point P can be calculated by using Gauss's Law and the formula E = sigma/(2*epsilon), which is independent of distance for uniformly charged infinite sheets. The distance between the sheets does not affect the electric field, and the only factor that matters is the surface charge density. The electric fields from each sheet can be added as vectors, taking into account the
dvsumosize

Homework Statement

3 Infinitely large non conductiong sheets are uniformly charged with surface charge densities Sigma1 = +2x10^-6c/m^2, Sigma2 = +4x10^-6c/m^2, Sigma3 = -5.0x10^-6c/m^2. Distance L = 1.6cm. What is the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at point P?

* P
| L/2
________________ Sigma3
|
|
| 2 *L
|
________________ Sigma2
| L
|
________________ Sigma 1

Homework Equations

The only 1 i know of is E = Sigma/(2*εnot)

The Attempt at a Solution

Es1 + Es2 + Es3 = Etot at P.

So my teacher never really taught us about non-conducting sheets over any distance, and instead told us to google it and ask on forums instead. Please me through how you do this, i can't find a formula that deals with distance between non-conducting sheets.

Physics news on Phys.org
electric fields are added as vectors. just add them with sign.

Use Gauss's Law.

Which formula from that law will i use, the only one i know is the E = Sigma/(2 * e-not)

Last edited:
dvsumosize said:
Which formula from that law will i use, the only one i know is the E = Sigma/(2 * e-not)
That's a result which can be obtained from Gauss's Law.

Gauss's Law: [tex]\oint_S\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}=\frac{q_{inside}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Cramster tells me what i did at the beginning was right, distance doesn't matter in this case. Why did none of you tell me so?

It's rather hard to read your mind well enough to know what you do & don't understand.

distance doesn't matter here, as electric field is independent of distance for uniformly charged infinite sheet.

I see.

so did you get the answer?

yeah

the same formula sigma/(2epsilon) can be obtained as follows:
A Gaussian surface in the form of cylindrical surface can be taken.The field is perpendicular to sheet so only end caps contribute to flux.
=>(epsilon)*(sufaceintegral(E.dA))=q

=>(epsilon)*(EA+EA)=sigma*A
=>(epsilon)*(2EA)=sigma*A

canceling A from both sides & rearranging:

=>E=sigma/(2*epsilon)

Thus for a very large non-conducting sheet distance doesn't matter at all!what matters is sigma.so just as per vectors the electric fields depending upon nature of charge(positive or negative).If negative sigma then E is generally taken as negative(however you can take anything!).So the data regarding distance is irrelevant here!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It is a force field that surrounds a charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field of non-conducting sheets different from conducting sheets?

The main difference is that conducting sheets allow charges to freely move across their surface, while non-conducting sheets do not. This means that the electric field of a conducting sheet is constant, while the electric field of a non-conducting sheet can vary depending on the distance from the sheet.

3. How is the electric field of a non-conducting sheet calculated?

The electric field of a non-conducting sheet can be calculated using the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ represents the surface charge density and ε0 represents the permittivity of free space.

4. How does the orientation of a non-conducting sheet affect its electric field?

The orientation of a non-conducting sheet can greatly affect its electric field. If the sheet is parallel to the electric field lines, the electric field will be constant and perpendicular to the sheet. However, if the sheet is at an angle to the electric field lines, the electric field will vary across the surface of the sheet.

5. Can the electric field of a non-conducting sheet be shielded?

Yes, the electric field of a non-conducting sheet can be shielded by placing a conducting sheet in front of it. This conducting sheet will redistribute the electric charges on the non-conducting sheet and change the electric field in front of it. This is known as the shielding effect.