Line Spacing in LaTeX: Adjust Equation Spacing in Your Document

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Line
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of line spacing in a thesis document and provides two solutions to adjust the spacing: using the \linespace command with a specified factor or using the setspace package with various spacing commands. The conversation also mentions the option of editing the .sty package directly for more control over the spacing. It is also noted that there is a mistake in equation (2.21) but this is not directly related to the main topic.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I'm not totally sure this is the right place to put this but here goes. I am using a thesis package from a different university for my thesis and I am having an issue with the line spacing.

6prtw6.jpg

The vertical spacing between equations is a bit much. How exactly can I change this spacing for the equations for the whole document? The gap, I assume, should be about the same gap as the spacing between lines of normal text.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two ways of doing this. The easiest is by putting in your preamble

\linespace{factor}

where factor is a number. 1.0 is normal. 1.3 is one-and-a-half spacing and 1.6 is double spacing. And so on. So condider putting in \linespace{0.7} or similar.

You could also put in the package

\usepackage{setspace}

Then you can use commands like
\singlespacing
\onehalfspacing
\doublespacing
\setstretch{1.1}

If you have acces to the .sty package of your package, then change one of these factors.

I found the area in the style package where they changed the spacing for eqnarray and I deleted it like a boss. I'm so smrt.

Pengwuino said:
I'm so smrt.

There's a mistake in equation (2.21) :biggrin:

micromass said:
There's a mistake in equation (2.21) :biggrin:

Go away.

1. What is line spacing in LaTeX?

Line spacing in LaTeX refers to the vertical space between lines of text in a document. It can be adjusted to make the text more or less compact, depending on the desired aesthetic or formatting requirements.

2. How do I adjust line spacing in LaTeX?

To adjust line spacing in LaTeX, you can use the command \linespread{factor}, where factor is a number that represents the desired spacing. A factor of 1.0 represents single spacing, 1.5 represents one and a half spacing, and 2.0 represents double spacing.

3. Can I adjust line spacing in specific parts of my document?

Yes, you can adjust line spacing in specific parts of your document by enclosing the text in a \begin{spacing}{factor} ... \end{spacing} environment. This will only change the spacing within that specific section of the document.

4. How do I adjust equation spacing in LaTeX?

To adjust equation spacing in LaTeX, you can use the command \setlength{\abovedisplayskip}{length} to set the space above an equation, and \setlength{\belowdisplayskip}{length} to set the space below an equation. Replace length with a number or unit of measurement to adjust the spacing accordingly.

5. Is it possible to adjust line spacing in a specific equation?

Yes, you can adjust the spacing within a specific equation by using the \vspace{length} command to add vertical space above or below the equation. You can also use negative values to decrease the spacing. Experiment with different lengths to find the desired spacing for your equation.