Are Men With Cats Considered Odd? Tips for Living Alone with a Feline Companion

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, Flex is considering getting a cat, but is worried about the judgment he will receive living alone with one. He thinks that a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist would be a better option.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
So... here's the deal. I live alone and I'd love to have some company. Girls make the best pets (oh, god, don't flame me... just let me have my joke), but I'm looking for something less likely to judge me for where I leave my dirty socks.

I live in a small condo and I often travel for a few days at a time for work.

I kind of think a dog is out even though I love dogs. There are lots of people that have dogs in my condo community, but the place is small, and I don't have much of a yard. Not to mention it would be hard to board him/her every time I travel for a couple of days.

So... I was thinking of getting a cat.

I like cats... a lot actually. They're pretty neat and clean. They don't need to go outside constantly, and can survive for a day or two without you. I've taken care of two strays before (both went back to homes) and I like having an animal around. Anyway, I have two principle concerns:

1. I have nice things and I don't really want to have them broken or clawed at by a cat, and
  2. Do men who live alone with a cat look as ridiculous as I suspect?

EDIT: I would probably adopt a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist. Probably wouldn't get a kitten.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.menwithouthats.com/" [Broken] looks ridiculous - that's why they were a one-hit wonder...oh, men with CATS. Yeah, they look ridiculous, but that's why I have a cat. That why I look ridiculous and have an excuse.

My cat doesn't really mess up my place, other than an occaisional hairball. She's a 100% indoor cat, so if you go that route, you could possibly de-claw her (or better yet, adopt one already declawed).

Last edited by a moderator:
daveb said:
My cat doesn't really mess up my place, other than an occaisional hairball. She's a 100% indoor cat, so if you go that route, you could possibly de-claw her (or better yet, adopt one already declawed).

I don't know if I could bring myself to declaw a cat. Not for the mushy-gushy "it's so inhumane, and you'll hurt his or her feelings and it's painful... blah blah blah" reason, but because I don't need a cat always trying to "get back at me."

My opinion?

If you like and want a cat, get one. Who gives a sh!t what other people will think about it? I don't think it's weird, but even if this thread turned into 50 pages of people telling you how ridiculous it would look, would you not get a cat? C'mon, Flex... /slap :biggrin:

Men with cats are endearing :!).

lisab said:

Hmm... I'm really kind of going for a menacing vibe...

http://thehotglove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/creepy-guy-with-cats.jpg [Broken]

Awwww, c'mon! You've picked the most eccentric cat owner to represent men with cats?

How about this one?

[PLAIN]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/16/128975601095363752.jpg [Broken]

Dembadon said:
Awwww, c'mon! You've picked the most eccentric cat owner to represent men with cats?

How about this one?

[PLAIN]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/16/128975601095363752.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

Okay, frankly... I'm waaaaaay more interested in what is happening in the background there... is that a garbage monster?!

FlexGunship said:
Okay, frankly... I'm waaaaaay more interested in what is happening in the background there... is that a garbage monster?!

It looks like a telephone pole with backpacks on it to me.

How about Marlon Brando?

cat-brando-2.jpg

To be honest, I read a story about a guy who found a blind kitten in the middle of the road. At only 3 months old she had been beaten, starved, blinded, and then left for dead outside near a road. That's what got me started.

I was thinking of going to shelters looking for a similar cat. Maybe not so extreme, but the type of cat that maybe gets passed over for adoption because kids wouldn't play well with it, or because it likely has higher medical costs, etc...

FlexGunship said:
..I have nice things and I don't really want to have them broken or clawed at by a cat, ...

A long time ago, we had a cat, who was ever so careful, never to move a thing when walking in between the porcelain and super fragile glass artifacts.

Currently, drizzle's fiancee loves to push things over the edge to observe if it breaks; repeating the experiment over and over again which much dedication.

So yes, a definite maybe

Last edited:
lisab said:

Aww... such kind words... Flex, get your cat, as Dembadon says, "who cares". I love my Siamese, not as much maintenance as a dog, and an endearing pet. I will post a picture of her (Luna) later (breed highly recommended BTW). They love to sit near you while you work/play, and can be vocal, although mine is on the shy side. If you know someone at a shelter who will give you a heads up, you can find a young one. That worked for me. A purebread through a breeder will cost you hundreds of dollars. I love the look of the fur and the piercing blue eyes. You won't regret it.

Rhody... :cool:

Last edited:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUAfzo9shavTB7NuGSzgcP9D9xznpcxmFiVa8l3cX0jOI5FojR.jpg

Pythagorean said:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUAfzo9shavTB7NuGSzgcP9D9xznpcxmFiVa8l3cX0jOI5FojR.jpg

Perfect.

I live a pretty quiet life in general... anybody have thoughts on an older cat? I'd like to be able to come home, puts on my sweats, have some dinner and watch a movie. On weekends it would be nice to be able to still do my home improvement projects or build something. I'm out of the house about 3 out of 5 weekday evenings, and I'm sure a young cat needs more attention than that.

The local SPCA place has a 12 year old female cat that they list as "good with kids, cats, dogs, and strangers." I can't help but think that at that age, maybe she deserves a nice quiet home. I'll share my tuna with her and she can help me with my world domination plans.

Men with cats are not odd... cats are awesome. Men who worry about looking odd because they have a cat are odd, but not because they have a cat.

Men who would rather have a cat than a women, however, are extremely odd.

pergradus said:
Men with cats are not odd... cats are awesome. Men who worry about looking odd because they have a cat are odd, but not because they have a cat.

Men who would rather have a cat than a women, however, are extremely odd.

To be clear, I have no shortage of women. Or rather, woman. Thank you, per-degrade-us.

FlexGunship said:
The local SPCA place has a 12 year old female cat that they list as "good with kids, cats, dogs, and strangers." I can't help but think that at that age, maybe she deserves a nice quiet home. I'll share my tuna with her and she can help me with my world domination plans.
That's your cat! Adopt her!

zoobyshoe said:
That's your cat! Adopt her!

My girlfriend suggested that the cat might be too old and that I would be sad when she died. It's probably true. Maybe a little younger is a better idea. I dunno...

EDIT: How long do cats live?

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
My girlfriend suggested that the cat might be too old and that I would be sad when she died. It's probably true. Maybe a little younger is a better idea. I dunno...

Our friend's just lost their female, Sparkles, 16 I believe. I have heard of others as old as 18 but that is pushing it. http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-world-records" [Broken] These have to be some kind of genetic freaks combined with an ideal environment, just a guess on my part however...
Oldest cat
The oldest living cat is Creme Puff of Austin Texas. Born on August 3rd 1967, Creme Puff celebrated her 38th birthday in August 2005.

Also deserving a mention are Puss, who was born in 1903. Puss was owned by Mrs T. Holway of Devon. Puss passed away on 29th November, 1939, one day after his 36th birthday.

The second is Granpa who lived to the ripe old age of 34. Granpa Rexs Allen (Granpa for short) was a Sphyx adopted from the Humane Society in Texas .

Rhody...

KrisOhn said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Health

It says 12-14 years for male indoor cats. I had an indoor neutered cat that grew to be 16.

rhody said:
Our friend's just lost their female, Sparkles, 16 I believe. I have heard of others as old as 18 but that is pushing it. http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-world-records" [Broken] These have to be some kind of genetic freaks combined with an ideal environment, just a guess on my part however...

Not sure I want to welcome such an elderly cat, only to have it pass away. I just don't want hyper-kitty destroying my speakers.

FlexGunship said:

My friend, Kim, has a cat that's 20. Of course, she feeds it a piece of real meat each day, either beef or chicken, no canned cat food.

That 12 year old deserves a good few more years with someone who'll take care of her. In the end, all cats die. On the upside, there's an endless supply of them.

FlexGunship said:
Not sure I want to welcome such an elderly cat, only to have it pass away. I just don't want hyper-kitty destroying my speakers.
That is an easy fix: http://www.invisiblefence.com/Find-the-Right-Solution/Cats" [Broken]. I don't have one, and at times from boredom my cat will go cat crazy. Run around like a nut, knead with claws rugs, etc... but only when we are around. She doesn't destroy furniture. If we catch her we clap our hands, or stomp our feet, puts an end to it quick.

Rhody...

zoobyshoe said:
My friend, Kim, has a cat that's 20. Of course, she feeds it a piece of real meat each day, either beef or chicken, no canned cat food.

That 12 year old deserves a good few more years with someone who'll take care of her. In the end, all cats die. On the upside, there's an endless supply of them.

So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy cat lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy act lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.

Yet you don't deny that you're crazy? Interesting...

FlexGunship said:
To be clear, I have no shortage of women. Or rather, woman. Thank you, per-degrade-us.
Better to have loved and lost a short one than never to have loved a tall.

FlexGunship said:
So, an alternative, is to get the 12yo cat, and a really young cat. But now I feel like I'm a crazy act lady... especially bad given that I AM, in fact, a man.
Just get the 12 year old. Young cats are more likely to die due to inexperience than older cats. The twelve year old has made all her mistakes and now knows not to do anything stupid.

zoobyshoe said:
Just get the 12 year old. Young cats are more likely to die due to inexperience than older cats. The twelve year old has made all her mistakes and now knows not to do anything stupid.

Hmm, thank you for coming up with rationalization-ammo for me. I'm going to bring my girlfriend and have her pretend that it'll be her cat. There's no way I can go in there alone.

Plus, I'll be able to say: "Pfft, women and their cats," do a few push-ups, open a jar of pickles, and build a table out of scrap lumber... no one will question my manliness...
daveb said:
Yet you don't deny that you're crazy? Interesting...

...or my craziness.

FlexGunship said:
... and build a table out of scrap lumber...

Only if you drive the nails into the wood with the palm of your hand. Otherwise you're just some wimp who can't even build a table without using a hammer.

Dembadon said:
Only if you drive the nails into the wood with the palm of your hand. Otherwise you're just some wimp who can't even build a table without using a hammer.

[PLAIN]http://amylingamfelter.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/fencing.jpg [Broken]

Touche.​

FlexGunship said:
Hmm, thank you for coming up with rationalization-ammo for me. I'm going to bring my girlfriend and have her pretend that it'll be her cat. There's no way I can go in there alone.

Plus, I'll be able to say: "Pfft, women and their cats," do a few push-ups, open a jar of pickles, and build a table out of scrap lumber... no one will question my manliness...
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.

zoobyshoe said:
Here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.

There is so much wrong with this post lol.

EDIT: oooh i didn't see that it was rationalization ammo. Okay, there is less wrong with it. But still. If you want a cat you should probably just get a cat.

zoobyshoe said:
here's some more rationalization/ammo: Cats are invariably symbols of the feminine. They're picky, fickle, high maintainence, vain: Always grooming themselves. If a guy likes cats it constitutes absolute proof he likes women and is not gay. Guy's who like dogs over cats are extremely questionable. Women view a guy who has a good relationship with a cat as extremely desirable boyfriend/husband material.

Awesome!

dacruick said:
there is so much wrong with this post lol

Aww ****!

<h2>1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?</h2><p>Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?</h2><p>Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.</p><h2>3. Do cats make good companions for single men?</h2><p>Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?</h2><p>Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.</p><h2>5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?</h2><p>One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.</p>

1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?

Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.

2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?

Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.

3. Do cats make good companions for single men?

Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.

4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?

Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.

5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?

One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.