Beads on a hoop that cause elevation

• Thread starter michelle15g
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the problem involves two beads of mass m and a hoop of mass M tied with a string. The task is to find the mass ratio that will cause the hoop to elevate as the beads move downward on each side. The equation T>= (M + 2m)g is used, along with conservation of energy and finding the acceleration and reaction force on the beads.
michelle15g

Homework Statement

There are two beads at the top of a hoop that is tied by a string. The beads start moving downward on the hoop on each side. M is the hoop's mass and m represents each bead's mass.
What is that mass ratio that will cause the hoop to elevate.

Homework Equations

T>= (M +2m)g

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to go about this question but I couldn't finish the equations.
I know that the momentum on the x-axis isn't relevant since the beads cancel each other out.
I'm not sure how to use the hoop as a constraint. I can find the difference in potential energy but I can't seem to connect it to the force - only to the momentum.
I would really appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi michelle! welcome to pf! :wink:
michelle15g said:
I'm not sure how to use the hoop as a constraint. I can find the difference in potential energy but I can't seem to connect it to the force - only to the momentum.

assume the hoop is fixed, and use conservation of energy to find the bead-speed at a general angle θ

(i expect you've already done that :wink:)

then find the acceleration of the beads,

then the reaction force on the beads …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you very much. My problem was that I kept skipping to the bottom instead of finding the speed at every angle in which case the integral was irrelevant.

1. What is the scientific explanation for the phenomenon of beads on a hoop causing elevation?

The phenomenon of beads on a hoop causing elevation is known as the "Möbius strip effect." This is a result of the physical properties of the hoop and beads, specifically their shape and the force of gravity. When the beads are placed on the hoop, they create a continuous loop that twists and turns, ultimately causing them to appear to "defy" gravity and stay elevated on the hoop.

2. How does the number of beads on the hoop affect the elevation?

The number of beads on the hoop does not significantly affect the elevation. As long as there is a continuous loop of beads, the Möbius strip effect will occur and the beads will remain elevated. However, having too few beads may cause the hoop to lose its shape and the effect to be less apparent.

3. Can this phenomenon occur with any type of hoop and beads?

Yes, the Möbius strip effect can occur with any type of hoop and beads as long as they are able to create a continuous loop. This can include metal hoops and glass or plastic beads, as well as different shapes and sizes of hoops and beads.

4. Is there any practical use for this phenomenon?

While the Möbius strip effect may seem like a fun scientific demonstration, it does have some practical applications. For example, it is used in conveyor belts to prevent the belt from flipping over and causing jams. It is also used in certain types of medical devices and even in space exploration.

5. How can I recreate this phenomenon at home?

To recreate the Möbius strip effect at home, you will need a hoop and beads. Start by creating a loop with the hoop, twisting it once to create the Möbius strip shape. Then, place the beads on the hoop and watch as they remain elevated. You can also try using different types of hoops and beads to see how they affect the phenomenon.