Contemporary Issues In Industrial Systems Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in researching contemporary issues in Industrial Systems Engineering (ISE). The topic is considered to be unpopular among engineering disciplines, making it difficult to find information. The conversation also poses a question to any ISE experts or individuals with knowledge on the subject. Potential issues mentioned include operations management, healthcare, and business analytics. Suggestions for further research include looking into the shift of manufacturing industries to other regions and the impact on workers and company owners. It is suggested to consult journals for more information on current ISE topics.
gocats741
Hello Physics Forums!

I need a bit of help. I'm aware that this is not a HW thread, but your help is greatly needed. This could be posed as a general discussion question if this is of any concern.

An assignment requires that I have to do research of several contemporary issues in ISE. However, ISE, being the unpopular kid among the engineering disciplines, barely has any information on itself, much less its contemporary issues or current problems or issues in its field this day and age.

If there are any industrial or systems engineers here on this forum or anyone that knows anything, what are some contemporary issues for ISE's?

The only ones I have so far is operations management, healthcare, and business analytics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you found a good one to discuss. I'm a mechanical engineer and I didn't even know that was a stream of engineering. Well it isn't according to Engineers Australia.

gocats741 said:
Hello Physics Forums!

I need a bit of help. I'm aware that this is not a HW thread, but your help is greatly needed. This could be posed as a general discussion question if this is of any concern.

An assignment requires that I have to do research of several contemporary issues in ISE. However, ISE, being the unpopular kid among the engineering disciplines, barely has any information on itself, much less its contemporary issues or current problems or issues in its field this day and age.

If there are any industrial or systems engineers here on this forum or anyone that knows anything, what are some contemporary issues for ISE's?

The only ones I have so far is operations management, healthcare, and business analytics.

Since I'm not familiar with IE/ISE either, I did a Google search. There appear to be lots of relevant things discussed in the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...enUS301US302&q=Industrial+Systems+Engineering

gocats741 said:
Hello Physics Forums!

You could talk about how work in factories and manufacturing industry seems to be leaving the developed nations in Western Europe and North America and being set up in East and Southeast Asia.

You could get into the greed which company owners exhibit as such trends start to have an effect. Or how some workers may be abused and not paid enough etc.

Find some journals (there are plenty of them, according to Google) and see what people are writing papers about.

1. What is the role of Industrial Systems Engineering in addressing contemporary issues?

Industrial Systems Engineering is a field of study that focuses on improving the efficiency and effectiveness of industrial systems. It plays a crucial role in addressing contemporary issues by using its principles and techniques to identify and solve problems related to production, supply chain management, and resource utilization.

2. What are the major challenges faced by Industrial Systems Engineers in today's world?

Some of the major challenges faced by Industrial Systems Engineers include increasing global competition, changing market demands, rapid technological advancements, and sustainability concerns. These challenges require engineers to constantly adapt and innovate in order to stay competitive and address these issues.

3. How does Industrial Systems Engineering contribute to sustainable development?

Industrial Systems Engineers play a crucial role in promoting sustainable development by designing and implementing more efficient processes and systems. This includes reducing waste, optimizing resource utilization, and implementing sustainable practices in production and supply chain management.

4. What are the current trends in Industrial Systems Engineering?

Some of the current trends in Industrial Systems Engineering include the use of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics, and Internet of Things (IoT) to improve efficiency and productivity. Additionally, there is a growing focus on sustainability and green manufacturing practices in the field.

5. How can Industrial Systems Engineering help businesses stay competitive?

Industrial Systems Engineering helps businesses stay competitive by continuously improving processes, reducing costs, and increasing efficiency. By utilizing its principles and techniques, businesses can streamline their operations and adapt to changing market demands, ultimately enhancing their competitiveness in the marketplace.