How to use these books for physics olympiad?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of different physics textbooks for studying for the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO). The person is seeking advice on which books to use and how to prepare effectively within a time constraint. They also discuss the importance of conceptual knowledge and problem-solving skills, as well as the success of Indonesian students in past IPhO competitions. The conversation also mentions the importance of giftedness and natural talent in excelling in such competitions.
SecretSnow
Hi guys, I have Feynman lectures, University Physics, and Irodov problems in general physics with solutions. How do I make use of these books?

Firstly, I must say that university physics textbook is rather simple to go through, but I've heard that Feynman lectures are better for physics olympiads. However, will that book be outdated (in terms of being revised for errors or wordings)? I've checked online and discovered that there may be misunderstandings while reading because of how certain words are phrased. Can I rely on Feyman's Lectures then? I'm rather new in introductory physics so I may not be able to verify the errors or concepts in this book.

Also, for practice, which book should I start first with? University Physics ones seems simpler but because of the time constraint I am not sure which one should I do (given that there's so many questions for each chapter) Because of this time constraint, is it wiser to just do Irodov's ones since it is slightly more difficult? If I have to do questions for practice, which questions in specific would it be best to maximize my time for the olympiad? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For Reading_-_If you have used University Physics then explore Intermediate books, as Mechanics-Kleppnar , Electrodynamics-Griffith , Modern Physics-Krane.And use Feynman Lectures also after reading from textbooks.

Remember IPhO is a Problem Solving Contest so do as many Quality Problems as you can.

Would it be good if I practice questions after studying one chapter? Or would it be better to go through all the chapters? Some times I find it difficult to tackle quality problems even though I have the knowledge because I lack experience. Also, where do I find quality problems that are not as difficult as ipho and are manageable? How do I use Feynman lectures too? Thanks!

Because I don't have a lot of time so do I get as much conceptual knowledge first but with little practice? If I practice the questions, my pace would be very slow. What would be the recommended pace? 1 chapter per day or 2?

Oh! that means you preparing for IPhO Denmark, July 2013. Please go to the Syllabus there is 11 topics/sub-branch, as Mechanics, Matter, etc.

Solve Problems from textbooks after completing a chapter, from Irodov after a sub-branch, and if all branches completed then face IPhO previous problems.

n10Newton said:
Oh! that means you preparing for IPhO Denmark, July 2013. Please go to the Syllabus there is 11 topics/sub-branch, as Mechanics, Matter, etc.

Solve Problems from textbooks after completing a chapter, from Irodov after a sub-branch, and if all branches completed then face IPhO previous problems.

Thanks a lot! You've been a great help!

Btw is it necessary that I read proofs of how an equation is derived? Sometimes I find it common sense when I look at the equation and also time consuming if I read the proofs. However, will I miss out anything important if I skip it?

It's require, I don't want to say but the time is very low for you.and how is your Experimental Part.IPhO requires knowledge upto undergrad.
here is an interview of a physics olympiad trainer. Read it may help you.
How many hours do the students have to study?

They study from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. But there are students who study until 1 a.m. or 2 a.m.
Complete Article
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2005/11/20/yohanes-surya-physicist-many-dreams.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
n10Newton said:
It's require, I don't want to say but the time is very low for you.and how is your Experimental Part.IPhO requires knowledge upto undergrad.
here is an interview of a physics olympiad trainer. Read it may help you.

Complete Article
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2005/11/20/yohanes-surya-physicist-many-dreams.html [Broken]

Wow Indonesian students are so hardworking..now I feel ashamed of myself... :( then, now I know I have to work harder! Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if a student has to study that long. In fact I think that it is impossible! I have met students who have win medals in IPhO and IMO and allthough they study a lot of time they never do so that long. In fact I do know a student who got a bronze in IMO 2011 with a 2 month preparation with a study of 5 hours per day.

SecretSnow said:
Because I don't have a lot of time so do I get as much conceptual knowledge first but with little practice? If I practice the questions, my pace would be very slow. What would be the recommended pace? 1 chapter per day or 2?

I use University Physics (by HD Young) for praparation. I would recommend that you solve the "Problems" and the "More Advanced Problems". You may skip the exercises. Then try solving more exercises from problem books like Irodov.

vthem said:
I'm not sure if a student has to study that long. In fact I think that it is impossible! I have met students who have win medals in IPhO and IMO and allthough they study a lot of time they never do so that long. In fact I do know a student who got a bronze in IMO 2011 with a 2 month preparation with a study of 5 hours per day.
Well Terence Tao Appears First Time in IMO at age of 10 that not means Anybody can go to it at age of 10.
And They Read and Taught by Yohans For doing the best at IPhO, at check the Article is of 2005-06 year and in that Session IPhO World Ranked 1 are from Indonesia.(check Wikipedia article IPhO).
China and USA both entered to IPhO in year 1986 but see the Results China in short period reached at No.1 in that.It's All about Giftedness. If you Gifted then You can do anything in Short Time Period.

1. How do I choose the right book for the physics olympiad?

The best way to choose the right book for the physics olympiad is to look for ones that cover the topics and concepts tested in the olympiad. You can also look for books that have practice problems and solutions specifically geared towards the olympiad.

2. Can I use multiple books for studying for the physics olympiad?

Yes, it is recommended to use multiple books for studying for the physics olympiad. Different books may offer different perspectives and explanations that can help you better understand the concepts.

3. How should I pace my studying when using these books for the physics olympiad?

It is important to pace yourself and not rush through the material. Make a study schedule and stick to it, allocating enough time for each topic. It is also helpful to take practice tests and review your answers to identify areas for improvement.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books for the physics olympiad?

Yes, there are many online resources such as practice problems, video tutorials, and study guides that can supplement the information provided in these books. You can also join online forums and discussion groups to connect with other students and ask for advice.

5. Do I need to have a strong math background to use these books for the physics olympiad?

While a strong math background can definitely be helpful for the physics olympiad, it is not a requirement. These books will cover the necessary math concepts and equations needed for the olympiad. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry.