Not enough information for question? [1st year special relativity]

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving an unspecified meson's speed and distance in a lab frame, using equations such as T=γt, L=l/λ, and v=s/t. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to pick a frame and use relativity to transform the time and distance measurements.
radiator0505

Homework Statement

I've been going over past papers recently and I can't see how to start this one, I get confused with the reference frames and it looks like I don't have enough information to start this.

"An unspecified meson has a mean lifetime , defined in its rest frame, of t = 2.60x10^-8. The meson decays into a muon and a neutrino. At what speed does the meson have to be moving for it to travel a distance of 20m in the lab frame?"

Homework Equations

T=γt
L=l/λ
v=s/t (not sure about this one, would i need to use the relativistic velocity?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how to start, if I could figure out gamma or either of τ and l I think I can do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: γ is a function of v, so an equation with γ can be written in terms of v.

Pick either frame to work with. One frame you'll need length contraction; the other frame you'll need time dilation. Take your pick!

But how do I find (for example) t?
I can;t just use v=s/t can I?

radiator0505 said:
But how do I find (for example) t?
The time is given (at least in the muon's frame). It must travel the given distance before it decays.
I can;t just use v=s/t can I?
Sure you can.

Doc Al said:
Sure you can.

Really? Does it not matter that the particles relativistic?
Is the only frame where stuff like v=s/t doesn't hold a relativistic one?

I think what DocAl is getting at is in the observers reference frame you can use v=s/t as your just trying to find out how long it takes for the meson to travel that distance. This is how long it will take as seen by the observer, however the clock on the meson is ticking much slower and relativity should be used when working in the mesons reference frame

radiator0505 said:
Really? Does it not matter that the particles relativistic?
Is the only frame where stuff like v=s/t doesn't hold a relativistic one?
v = s/t works in any frame and for any speed. It's the definition of speed.

Just be sure that you use the distance and time measurements from the same frame. Don't mix distance from one frame with time from another.

Relativity comes into the picture when you want to transform distance or time measured in one frame to that measured in another. And that's exactly what you need to do here, since the time and distance that you are given are from different frames. Pick one and go for it.

well i was wrong. thanks DocAl. Do you know anything about QM? do u think you could help me out wit my most recent post ?

Doc Al said:
v = s/t works in any frame and for any speed. It's the definition of speed.

Just be sure that you use the distance and time measurements from the same frame. Don't mix distance from one frame with time from another.

Relativity comes into the picture when you want to transform distance or time measured in one frame to that measured in another. And that's exactly what you need to do here, since the time and distance that you are given are from different frames. Pick one and go for it.

Brilliant, completely cleared that up.
Thanks!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It is based on two postulates: the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames, and the speed of light is constant for all observers. Special relativity has been extensively tested and is an essential part of modern physics.

2. What are the key concepts of special relativity?

The key concepts of special relativity include the relativity principle, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the constancy of the speed of light, which means that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. Other important concepts include time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc^2).

3. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in several ways. Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion proposed by Isaac Newton and assumes that time and space are absolute. In contrast, special relativity incorporates the concept of relative motion and shows that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. Additionally, special relativity predicts phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not accounted for in classical mechanics.

4. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has several real-world applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power. GPS satellites, for example, use the principles of special relativity to accurately determine the positions of receivers on Earth. Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, rely on special relativity to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds. And nuclear power plants use the equation E=mc^2 to convert small amounts of mass into large amounts of energy.

5. How does special relativity relate to general relativity?

Special relativity and general relativity are both theories proposed by Albert Einstein. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity extends this to include the effects of gravity. General relativity also incorporates the concept of curved spacetime, which explains how objects with mass affect the fabric of space and time. Special relativity can be seen as a special case of general relativity in the absence of gravity.