How to create a eletromagnetic field with frequency?

In summary, you need a signal generator, an oscilloscope, and some knowledge of electronics in order to create an EM field with a certain frequency.
mitocondrio
Let's say I want to create an eletromagnetic field with a 13.56Mhz frequency... How do I proceed it with a circuit? I don't need a large explanation, but please tell me how do I learn about it. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mitocondrio said:
Let's say I want to create an eletromagnetic field with a 13.56Mhz frequency... How do I proceed it with a circuit? I don't need a large explanation, but please tell me how do I learn about it. Thanks :)

What is the overall goal? What do you want to do with this EM radiation?

I want to do some RFID emulation, but I would like to learn how to create this frequency. I already learned the modulation part. I want to learn by parts. I will thank you so much if you can help me!

mitocondrio said:
I want to do some RFID emulation, but I would like to learn how to create this frequency. I already learned the modulation part. I want to learn by parts. I will thank you so much if you can help me!

What country are you in? What government agency controls the RF spectrum there? How much power are you allowed to transmit in that band, and what are the regulations on harmonics of the fundamental transmit frequency?

Is this a school project? Or for work or for a personal project?

I'm studying RFIDs and how they work. I would try to do an RFID emulator just to learn better how things work. It's nothing under the government specifications, I will just use this to emulate an RFID tag for like 10 centimeters away form the reader. The tags I want to emulate uses the 13.56Mhz frequency, which is the frequency I wanted to create with a coil.

Thanks!

mitocondrio said:
I'm studying RFIDs and how they work. I would try to do an RFID emulator just to learn better how things work. It's nothing under the government specifications, I will just use this to emulate an RFID tag for like 10 centimeters away form the reader. The tags I want to emulate uses the 13.56Mhz frequency, which is the frequency I wanted to create with a coil.

Thanks!

The issue is that any time you transmit RF signals, you are interacting with other receivers in your area. So if you make a bad transmitter, or transmit too much power, you can cause harmful interference with other radio receivers, which is a bad thing.

The easiest way for you to do this is to use a signal generator that can go up to your frequency. Do you have access to signal generators and oscilloscopes?

I don;t have an osciloscope, I would like to know how to build a circuit that can generate the signal. Could you help me? Thank you :)

Search google for "rf oscillator" and you get a bunch of links. For example,
www.sm0vpo.com/blocks/osc7m00.htm [Broken]
There's the circuit right there. Then you just need to attach some kind of antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
mitocondrio said:
I don;t have an osciloscope, I would like to know how to build a circuit that can generate the signal. Could you help me? Thank you :)

I assume that you have very little experience of electronics and virtually no test equipment. If this is the case then I suggest that you are heading for failure if you leap into this project so ill equipped. How would you know your circuit was working once you turned it on?

mitocondrio said:

Silly question. If you don't have any ability to measure the signal generated, how in the world are you going to know you've generated such a signal?

{scratching head}

It appears that from reading this thread, you haven't thought of things through enough.

Zz.

1. How do I create an electromagnetic field with a specific frequency?

To create an electromagnetic field with a specific frequency, you will need a power source, a conducting wire, and a source of AC current. You can use an oscillator or a generator to create the desired frequency. The wire should be wrapped into a coil, and the AC current should be passed through it. This will create an electromagnetic field with the desired frequency.

2. Can I control the strength of the electromagnetic field?

Yes, you can control the strength of the electromagnetic field by adjusting the voltage and current of the AC source. Higher voltages and currents will result in a stronger electromagnetic field, while lower values will result in a weaker field.

3. What materials can I use to create an electromagnetic field?

The most commonly used material to create an electromagnetic field is copper wire, as it is highly conductive. However, you can also use other conductive materials such as aluminum or gold. The key is to have a material that allows for the flow of electricity.

4. How far does an electromagnetic field travel?

The range of an electromagnetic field depends on the strength of the field and the materials it encounters. In most cases, the field will dissipate quickly as it encounters resistance in the form of air or other objects. However, in certain conditions, such as in a vacuum, the field can travel very far.

5. What are the practical applications of creating an electromagnetic field with a specific frequency?

There are many practical applications of creating an electromagnetic field with a specific frequency. These include wireless communication, medical imaging, industrial processes, and research in various fields such as physics and biology. The ability to control the frequency of the field allows for precise and targeted use in these applications.