Is everyone infected with filaria will have swollen leg

• Thread starter vivek.das2k9
  • Start date
In summary, my cousin from India was detected with filaria in the initial stage and his blood test when consulted doctor was Eosinophil count (Haematology) 376(50-400/cmm) and Og4C3 (Serology) Wkly +ve 256 ELISA (upto 128 A.U). The pathologist told him, the values of blood test report were small. He is conscious that his leg will start to swell. He has taken medicines, now what. The doctor never tell him to come and visit again. Now, its 9 month and no problem yet. Is everyone who is infected with filaria parasite and medicated in the initial stage, will still have swollen leg.
vivek.das2k9
My cousin from India is detected with filaria in the initial stage. His blood test when consulted doctor was,

Eosinophil count (Haematology) 376(50-400/cmm)
and
Og4C3 (Serology) Wkly +ve 256 ELISA (upto 128 A.U).

The pathologist told him, the values of blood test report were small.

He is conscious that his leg will start to swell. He has taken medicines, now what. The doctor never tell him to come and visit again. Now, its 9 month and no problem yet.

Is everyone who is infected with filaria parasite and medicated in the initial stage, will still have swollen leg.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I am not a doctor and I am not familiar with the healthcare system in India. Filariasis can be treated in a number of different ways, but no individual regimen seems to be based on a longer than 2 month period. If your cousin is asymptomatic at 9 mos, it is possible that he should not suffer additional symptoms. It is possible that the infection was detected at an early enough stage that he did not develop all of the symptoms typical in a more advanced case.

In the US, it is standard practice to followup with the doctor after receiving treatment. A new blood test might be able to determine if your cousin needs further treatment.

vivek.das2k9 said:
My cousin from India is detected with filaria in the initial stage.

Is everyone who is infected with filaria parasite and medicated in the initial stage, will still have swollen leg.

Thanks.

Fortunately, no. Only a fraction of those infected will develop the deformities associated with lymphatic filariasis in endemic areas (where nearly everyone is infected). This is the takeaway from the following article, which is fairly technical.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2784903/

Humans are the only host for the filaria, Wuchereria bancrofti, the most common cause of filariasis. So eliminating the microfilaria from human hosts holds promise for eliminating the infection in endemic areas. However the drugs that kill microfilaria (the juvenile forms) do not have as much effect on the adult form which lodge in the lymphatic system. Currently, up to two doses a year for about 7 years is required to eliminate the infection (the resistant adults just die off).

EDIT:

WHO fact sheet and recommendations: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs102/en/

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

As the adult worms doesn't die with medication, isn't it, still continue to give birth to microfilaria and increase its number i.e even after medication as in my cousin case because he was given medicine only for two weeks after he got detected and the doctor hasn't said him to continue further treatment.

Or,

Is it, after completion of medicine, the adult worm will not be capable to give birth to microfilaria and become adults.

Last edited:
vivek.das2k9 said:
Thanks for the reply.

As the adult worms doesn't die with medication, isn't it, still continue to give birth to microfilaria and increase its number i.e even after medication as in my cousin case because he was given medicine only for two weeks after he got detected and the doctor hasn't said him to continue further treatment.

Or,

Is it, after completion of medicine, the adult worm will not be capable to give birth to microfilaria and become adults.

The adult worms have a life span of about 7-8 years. If you keep the microfilaria under control with medication for that amount of time, no new adults should develop and the old resistant adults will die off. The current treatment regimen consists of just one or two doses (treatments) of a two anti-filarial drug combination per year. Your cousin should check with his doctor to see when his next treatment is due.

Note, it's important that the whole population in your cousin's area be treated or he is at risk to be reinfected if he stays in an endemic area.

Last edited:

1. What is filariasis?

Filariasis is a parasitic disease caused by infection with roundworms of the Filarioidea type. These worms are transmitted to humans through the bites of infected mosquitoes.

2. Can anyone get filariasis?

Yes, anyone can get filariasis if they are bitten by an infected mosquito. However, the risk of getting infected is higher in areas where the disease is prevalent, such as tropical and subtropical regions.

3. Will everyone infected with filariasis have swollen legs?

No, not everyone infected with filariasis will have swollen legs. Swelling of the legs is a common symptom of lymphatic filariasis, the most common form of the disease. However, other forms of filariasis may not cause any swelling.

4. Is there a cure for filariasis?

Yes, filariasis can be treated with medication, particularly with a combination of drugs called diethylcarbamazine (DEC) and albendazole. These drugs kill the worms and help reduce the symptoms of the disease.

5. How can filariasis be prevented?

Filariasis can be prevented by taking measures to avoid mosquito bites, such as using insect repellents, wearing long-sleeved clothing, and sleeping under mosquito nets. Additionally, controlling mosquito populations through proper waste management and mosquito control programs can also help prevent the spread of filariasis.

Back