Register to reply

Ways an organism can survive in extreme conditions.

by willstaruss22
Tags: conditions, extreme, organism, survive
Share this thread:
willstaruss22
Oct8-13, 08:29 PM
P: 96
Lets ay there is a 0.5 Earth mass and 0.8 Earth radii planet orbiting a Sun like star at the same distance Earth is orbiting its Sun. Its atmospheric pressure would be 0.03 bar. Water boils at 75 degrees F at this pressure. How could an organism living on the surface survive?

Another question....Lets say the organisms body temperature was 80 degrees F.

Would the water within the organism boil off due to the low atmospheric pressure or could the outside pressure have no affect? If it could be prevented how?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Discovery reveals how bacteria distinguish harmful versus helpful viruses
14 detained trying to prevent Faroe Island dolphin hunt
Census: Orca population in Puget Sound falling
Simon Bridge
Oct8-13, 09:13 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,961
It could survive by being adapted to it's environment or by using an artificial environment.

To have a body temp of 80F, and rely on liquid water to survive, would probably mean being able to maintain a high internal body pressure too. It could also live in a cooler region with liquid water on the surface and just have a large throughput (it would take a while for the water just drunk to boil). Maybe the organism acts as a biological steam engine? Or maybe it has an external bladder to store liquid water? Basically you can take your pick - bearing in mind that speculation is against the rules.

What is the scientific context for the question?
willstaruss22
Oct8-13, 10:36 PM
P: 96
I am just very curious how an organism could survive in an extreme environment. Thanks I never even imagined an organism could do those things.

Simon Bridge
Oct9-13, 01:19 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,961
Ways an organism can survive in extreme conditions.

Quote Quote by willstaruss22 View Post
I never even imagined an organism could do those things.
Really? - Then you should look at how Earth organisms survive the range of environments offered on our own planet. Life is pretty tenacious.

Note: "organism" covers everything from a virus to a colony of fungus to an Apatosaur.
It includes all such things currently living and extinct and yet to be. That gives quite a lot of scope for finding a solution.

i.e.
http://www.nss.org/adastra/volume14/rothschild.html
http://www.livescience.com/13377-ext...dest-life.html

Register to reply