Troubleshooting Strange Virus: Fixing Hidden Folders in Windows 7

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
In summary: When dealing with a strange virus that changes folders into shortcuts, the problem is that the folders become inaccessible from the operating system's window. However, they can still be accessed by using programs such as Winrar. To fix this issue, the first step is to tell Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files. This can be done by going to Control Panel, Folder Options, and selecting "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers." The next step is to use a modern antivirus software to get rid of the virus. If that doesn't work, try copying the entire flash memory to a folder on a hard drive, verifying the contents, "unhiding" any necessary folders, formatting the flash memory, and then copying the contents back. Another
mech-eng
there is a strange virus.It seems that it has a name of recycle.Problem is that when it enters our flash memory it changes all created folder with their shortcuts.ı can reach them by these shortcuts.
But when I deleted that shortcuts I can't reach folder normally from a windows 7 window.but they are really there.I can reach and monitor them by some programs such as winrar.I run winrar and using
up button I select the memory and enter into it by winrar.I can see all folder in winrar but not in the
operating system's window.what is the problem with folders.how can make them normal?

Computer science news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
there is a strange virus.It seems that it has a name of recycle.Problem is that when it enters our flash memory it changes all created folder with their shortcuts.ı can reach them by these shortcuts.
But when I deleted that shortcuts I can't reach folder normally from a windows 7 window.but they are really there.I can reach and monitor them by some programs such as winrar.I run winrar and using
up button I select the memory and enter into it by winrar.I can see all folder in winrar but not in the
operating system's window.what is the problem with folders.how can make them normal?

Just tell Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files

phinds said:
Just tell Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files

how can I tell Windows explorer to show . I entered control panel and chose folder options and
then clicked on "show hidden files and folder" and then a dialog window called folder options opened.In the view button I chose "show hidden files,folders and drivers" and then clicked on "ok" button.but I see that nothing has changed.

Its probably the RECYCLER virus and most modern antivirus softwares can get rid of it for you.

Enigman said:
Its probably the RECYCLER virus and most modern antivirus softwares can get rid of it for you.

yes I can get rid of it but the problem is I can't make folders visible again.

Control panel, Folder options, View, Show hidden files, directories and drives.

At leas under W7, I am translating from Polish, so exact names can be slightly different.

Borek said:
Control panel, Folder options, View, Show hidden files, directories and drives.

At leas under W7, I am translating from Polish, so exact names can be slightly different.

I did like you said but nothing has change is it because of secret folders in a flash memory.

Attachments

• folder option.png
    folder option.png
    2 KB · Views: 431
mech-eng said:
I did like you said but nothing has change is it because of secret folders in a flash memory.
Is it possible to copy the entire flash memory to a folder on a hard drive, then compare to verify everything was copied, then "unhide" all the folders that you don't want hidden, then "format" the flash memory, and then copy back to the flash memory?

rcgldr said:
Is it possible to copy the entire flash memory to a folder on a hard drive, then compare to verify everything was copied, then "unhide" all the folders that you don't want hidden, then "format" the flash memory, and then copy back to the flash memory?

I tried what you said.I did as in the Picture I attached but nothing has change.They are still unvisible.there must be another tip.

There is more than show hidden files and folders, you must ALSO show system files, which is a little bit farther down in that thumbnail above, or rather uncheck the "hide system files" one.

mech-eng said:
yes I can get rid of it but the problem is I can't make folders visible again.

Antivirus should have fixed that...but aside that a google search suggests this to show all hidden files in a directory:
1. Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.
2. Here I assume your External hard drive as G:
3. Enter this command.
4. attrib -r -a -s -h g:\*.*
(replace g with your drive letter)

Hepth said:
There is more than show hidden files and folders, you must ALSO show system files, which is a little bit farther down in that thumbnail above, or rather uncheck the "hide system files" one.

Your method works very well. I unchecked "hide protected operating system files(recommended)" and it is ok. But there is not any box being "Show system files" for checking and I can see files but they are transparent. they are not still normal in spite of being visible. Is my O.S regards them as system files in spite of they are not?

Attachments

• transparant.png
    transparant.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
It's OK. You're doing fine. Now just do what Enigman sad in post 11

mech-eng said:
Your method works very well. I unchecked "hide protected operating system files(recommended)" and it is ok. But there is not any box being "Show system files" for checking and I can see files but they are transparent. they are not still normal in spite of being visible. Is my O.S regards them as system files in spite of they are not?
1-Make a new folder(This should be normal)
2-Copy all the files/sub-folders present in the affected folder to new folder
3-Then delete the transparent/original folder.
Problem solved

This is what I did when "Chir.B.worm" virus got into my computer.
It makes all the folders into shortcuts just like how you said.

Enigman said:
Antivirus should have fixed that...but aside that a google search suggests this to show all hidden files in a directory:
1. Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.
2. Here I assume your External hard drive as G:
3. Enter this command.
4. attrib -r -a -s -h g:\*.*
(replace g with your drive letter)

when I try this command prompt says -r is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file and can you share your Google criteria for that search.

Removing all the attributes on the entire hard drive *.* could cause issues with certain software packages that depend on something being read only attribute as well, it opens up any file to be modified.

1. What are hidden folders in Windows 7 and why would they need to be fixed?

Hidden folders in Windows 7 are system folders that are not normally visible to the user. They may need to be fixed if they have been infected by a virus or if there are errors preventing them from functioning properly.

2. How can I tell if my hidden folders have been affected by a virus?

If your hidden folders suddenly become visible or if you are unable to access them, it is possible that a virus has affected them. You may also notice strange file names or unusual file sizes within the hidden folders.

3. What steps should I take to fix hidden folders in Windows 7?

The first step is to run a full system scan using a reputable antivirus software. If the scan detects any viruses, follow the prompts to remove them. You can also try using the Command Prompt to manually change the attributes of the hidden folders back to their default settings.

4. Are there any precautions I should take before attempting to fix hidden folders?

It is always important to back up your important files before making any changes to your system. In addition, make sure to only use trusted antivirus software and be cautious when following instructions from online sources.

5. How can I prevent hidden folders from being affected by viruses in the future?

To prevent viruses from affecting your hidden folders, make sure to regularly update your antivirus software and perform regular system scans. It is also important to be cautious when downloading files from the internet and to avoid clicking on suspicious links or emails.

Back