Increase Outlet Pressure to 1.5 bar in Retrofitted Process Line

• Thread starter Faizal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses the retrofitting of an old process line and the need for an outlet pressure of 1.5 bar. The design includes an open tank connected to a pump, but attempts to manipulate the outlet flow or reduce pipe size using Bernoulli's Equation have not been successful in increasing the pressure. Possible solutions to increase the exit pressure include overworking or changing the pump, elevating the water tank, or using larger pipes with less friction. Overall, the pump is seen as the main issue if 1.5 bar cannot be achieved.
Faizal
Hi all !

I currently in the process of retrofitting an old process line in which I require the outlet pressure to be 1.5 bar.

The design just includes an open tank connected to a pump as shown in attachment. The water level of the tank is leveled with the pump outlet. The pump is currently operating to produce an outlet flow of 33 LMH in a 1.5 in pipe.

By using Bernoulli's Equation, shown in attachment as well, I can't seem to increase the pressure by either manipulating outlet flow or reducing pipe size. I sincerely hope you guys can help by pointing out my mistake and a solution to increase the outlet pressure ?

Thank you very much for your kind assistance ! .. :confused:

Attachments

• Presentation1.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 323
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Faizal.

Is the pump capable of 1.5 bar? (see the specs)
What do you expect to see if you would get 1.5 bar? Could it be that you get 1.5 bar and without a stop the pressure just does nothing?
The speed of the flow is slow and there is a pump there so the two sides are not truly communicating. I see no need for the Bernoulli equation.

Options for increasing the exit pressure:
Overwork the pump/change the pump with something better. An overall clean-up will sometimes "up" the pressure.
Move the water tank to a higher elevation, approximately 10m => 1bar.
Make the exit pipes bigger for less friction.

IMO the main culprit is the pump if you do not get 1.5 bar.

Have fun!

1. How do you increase outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line?

To increase outlet pressure to 1.5 bar in a retrofitted process line, you will need to adjust the pressure settings on the pump. This can be done manually or through a control panel, depending on the type of pump being used.

2. What is the importance of increasing outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line?

Increasing outlet pressure is important in a retrofitted process line because it ensures that the desired amount of pressure is being delivered to the system. This is necessary for proper functioning and efficiency of the process line.

3. What are the steps involved in increasing outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line?

The steps involved in increasing outlet pressure may vary depending on the specific process line and pump being used. However, in general, the steps may include adjusting the pump's pressure settings, checking for any leaks or blockages, and testing the system to ensure the desired pressure is being achieved.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when increasing outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when increasing outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line. This may include wearing protective gear, following the manufacturer's instructions, and ensuring the system is turned off before making any adjustments.

5. How can you troubleshoot any issues with increasing outlet pressure in a retrofitted process line?

If there are any issues with increasing outlet pressure, it is important to first check for any leaks or blockages in the system. If those are not the issue, then it may be necessary to consult the pump's manual or contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting steps.