BJT Problem: Calculating Output Voltage (Q.28) - Solution and Comparison

• Thread starter lazyaditya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary, the author of the book states that the collector current for a transistor connected in parallel with a 4 kΩ resistor is equal to the current in the 2.0 kohm resistor. However, Claude substituted 430 uA for Ic which resulted in a calculation error.
lazyaditya
I have attached the images for the question and the way i attempted it please refer to it and tell me have i made any mistake.I have also attached the image for the solution provided by book, and my answer is not matching to the answer given in the book.

Question has asked to calculate the output voltage and it is (Q.28) for solution given in my book.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 420
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 403
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 428
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
For the circuit in your first pic, your working & consequent answer are correct.

Likes 1 person
Correct. They forgot the current through the 4kΩ resistor (I2).

Likes 1 person
Ok. Thank you.

Lazyaditya,

Your work was correct until the last line of the second picture you attached.

You substituted 430 uA for Ic which is not correct.

430uA is the total current = Ic + I(4 Kohm resistor).

The solution in the book is correct, you don't need to substitute each current value, you just calculate the voltage on 2K resistor, & substitute from 12 V -> you will get Vo.

^^^^ That does not seem right. If the transistor was not connected then 2.0 milli-amps would be flowing through the 4k Ω resistor making 8.0 volts at Vo. Once the transistor is connected in parallel to the the 4k Ω resistor voltage at Vo will only get lower than 8.0 volts.

hisham.i said:
Your work was correct until the last line of the second picture you attached.

You substituted 430 uA for Ic which is not correct.

430uA is the total current = Ic + I(4 Kohm resistor).

That is wrong. Posts #2 and #3 are right.

I computed Vo = 7.4133 volts. The Vbe forward junction drop is 0.60V at such low currents. Ib is 5.0V - 0.60V, divided by 1.0 megohm, which is 4.4 uA. Multiplying by beta value of 100 gives 0.440 mA for Ic, the collector current. This Ic equals the current in the 2.0 kohm resistor minus that in the 4.0 kohm resistor.

Using algebra and solving for Vo gives 7.4133V. The 2.0 kohm resistor current is 2.2933 mA, and the 4.0 kohm current is 1.8533 mA. The difference is 0.440 mA, exactly equal to collector current Ic.

Claude

cabraham said:
I computed Vo = 7.4133 volts. The Vbe forward junction drop is 0.60V at such low currents. Ib is 5.0V - 0.60V, divided by 1.0 megohm, which is 4.4 uA. Multiplying by beta value of 100 gives 0.440 mA for Ic, the collector current. This Ic equals the current in the 2.0 kohm resistor minus that in the 4.0 kohm resistor.

Using algebra and solving for Vo gives 7.4133V. The 2.0 kohm resistor current is 2.2933 mA, and the 4.0 kohm current is 1.8533 mA. The difference is 0.440 mA, exactly equal to collector current Ic.

Claude
At two Significant Digits, you both got 7.4 volts. :biggrin:

Posts 1-8 have too many significant digits. Vbe is known to about 0.65 +/- 0.10 V. So post 9 is the best.

1. What is a BJT and how does it work?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) is a type of transistor used in electronic circuits to amplify or switch signals. It consists of three layers of semiconductor material, with each layer having a different type of doping (either p-type or n-type). The BJT works by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter terminals by varying the voltage applied to the base terminal.

2. What is the main purpose of calculating the output voltage in a BJT problem?

The output voltage is calculated to determine the amplification or switching characteristics of a BJT and to ensure that it is operating within its safe operating limits. This information is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

3. How is the output voltage calculated in a BJT problem?

The output voltage can be calculated using Ohm's law and the BJT equations. The equation Vout = Vcc - Ic*Rc is commonly used, where Vcc is the supply voltage, Ic is the collector current, and Rc is the collector resistor. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the BJT small-signal model, which takes into account the transistor's internal resistance and capacitance.

4. What factors affect the output voltage in a BJT problem?

The output voltage in a BJT problem is affected by various factors such as the supply voltage, the biasing of the transistor, the transistor's gain, and the load connected to the collector terminal. Any changes in these factors can affect the output voltage and must be taken into consideration during the calculation.

5. How is the calculated output voltage compared to the measured output voltage in a BJT problem?

The calculated output voltage is compared to the measured output voltage to validate the results and ensure the accuracy of the calculation. Any discrepancies between the two values can indicate errors in the calculation or problems with the circuit's components. This comparison is an essential step in troubleshooting and fine-tuning electronic circuits.