Apparently, I am a traitor *shrugs*

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of free speech in the United States and the right to criticize the government without being labeled as a traitor. The conversation also touches on the role of media in shaping public opinion and the limitations of free speech in America. Some participants express concerns over the black and white thinking of the Bush administration and the impact it has on political discourse. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of free speech in a democracy and the need for individuals to think critically and independently.
Zero
I criticized Bush...therefore I am providing aid and comfort to the enemy(in that same moronic 2nd grade way that a flag on your bumper apparently gives aid and comfort to American troops). I guess I must be a traitor, huh?

F---ing stupid right-wing pundits!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nahh...
Dissent is as american as apple pie.
So whenever you see the need to give the Bush administration a good kick in the pants, feel free to get a good running start.

Originally posted by HAVOC451
Nahh...
Dissent is as american as apple pie.
So whenever you see the need to give the Bush administration a good kick in the pants, feel free to get a good running start.
No, you don't understand! The right-wing thinks I am a traitor! LOL, and they think actual traitors are heros...Ollie North, anyone?

Originally posted by Zero
No, you don't understand! The right-wing thinks I am a traitor! LOL, and they think actual traitors are heros...Ollie North, anyone?

Under the US constitution you are entitled to free speech. You use it here on this forum. You are free to say what you believe in.

Why do you think you are a traitor? I'm probably what you would call right-wing and I don't think you are a traitor. Why should I? Have you sold secrets to terrorists? Have you fought against your country?

Free speech means listening to people you disagree with. Mr Bush and his government believe in free speech as much as you do.

Say what you want... enjoy it. :smile:

It is a freedom that most of the world don't have.

Oh, but I do.

i think this topic should be re-labeled as free speech is an american right, instead of worrying about what others think you are...they are entitled to believe and say what they want as much as you do, but i wouldn't let it bother you...

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Under the US constitution you are entitled to free speech. You use it here on this forum. You are free to say what you believe in.

Why do you think you are a traitor? I'm probably what you would call right-wing and I don't think you are a traitor. Why should I? Have you sold secrets to terrorists? Have you fought against your country?

Free speech means listening to people you disagree with. Mr Bush and his government believe in free speech as much as you do.

Say what you want... enjoy it. :smile:

It is a freedom that most of the world don't have.
You should follow the American right-wing press, and our politics in general. I think the case of Max Cleland is a perfect example. He lost his bid for re-election as senator for Georgia, largely because of hate ads claiming that he was anti-American for criticizing Bush's actions in regards to the 'war on terra'. His opponent sat out Vietnam, while Cleland volunteered for the war, and lost 3 limbs in Vietnam.

Originally posted by Kerrie
i think this topic should be re-labeled as free speech is an american right, instead of worrying about what others think you are...they are entitled to believe and say what they want as much as you do, but i wouldn't let it bother you...
Well, you don't think this is a problem, when one political party thinks it is ok to smear the patriotism of the other, based on lies?

Why do you think you are a traitor?
He's being sarcastic.

However, I agree.

Originally posted by russ_watters
He's being sarcastic.

However, I agree.
You agree that I am a traitor?[?]

Well, you don't think this is a problem, when one political party thinks it is ok to smear the patriotism of the other, based on lies?

as you have the right to free speech, so do others...if you know they are lies, why waste the energy in being affected by them? lies and politics are synonomous...

That reminds me of Bush's saying: you are either WITH us, or AGAINST us (ie either with us, or with the terrorists). This type of black/white thinking won't be good in any situation.

Originally posted by Monique
That reminds me of Bush's saying: you are either WITH us, or AGAINST us (ie either with us, or with the terrorists). This type of black/white thinking won't be good in any situation.

...don't you mean 'it might not be good'? Otherwise you argue against yourself?

heh :P

"The rights of parties" vs. "rights of individuals?" Intriguing.

You agree that I am a traitor?[?]
Yes. Not for the reasons you stated though.

Well, according the the Bush administration if you criticize the Bush administration you're helping the terrorists.

Monique
One might say, "you either enjoy Greed, or suffer Need." For many in the US this is literally black/white.

Only the Ann Coulter crowd would say that, and they are obviously crazy, as Franken has proved. I mean, after all, it was Osama's boys who did the deed, not Americans.

Free Speech in USA (A Patriot Wank)

Yeh, you guys have freedom of speech, but not freedom of thought.
Honestly guys. The US media would have to be one of the most pathetic nations in the world when it comes to “informing the people with balanced views”. Dr. Joseph Goebbels would be amazed at how closed the Fourth Estate in the USA is, how subservient it is, how much arse it licks. Your “journalists” might as well be Bush’s foot soldiers. They are either stupid, gutless or complicit (or a unique combination of all three). The politicians and media treat the US public like fools, they don’t even trust your intelligence enough to report facts.

But don’t believe me.
For the brainwashed idiots who can’t seem to cope with analysis, I suggest these “pretty easy to read authors”.
Try the classic Noam Chomsky book “Manufacturing Consent”. It exposes the US joke of “balanced reporting”.
If that doesn’t work, try watching “the Panama Deception”. The video won the 1990 Academy Award for Best Documentary (I’d wager most have never even heard of this). It gives a great overview of military and politic objectives and psyops tactics regarding media control in war/peace situations.
Failing that, look for some Bertrand Russell, John Pilger or Wilfred Burchett.

If Zero is a traitor to his nation, then I guess I’m a traitor and a terrorist who worships Satan, smokes crack, sell drugs to children and possesses weapons of mass destruction.
No sorry, that’s not me. That’s;

Kruschev
Ayatollah Khamenei
Colonel Gadaffi
General Manuel Noriega
Saddam Hussein
Osama Bin Laden
That “North Korean Commie guy”
Zero
(insert next “traitor of the month” here).

I want be “Arab, bearded, goat-rooting, terrorist of the month”!

what the heck is "goat-rooting"?

you win "insane rant of the month"

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Damn. Well, I'll try harder next month.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius

Tee Hee

It will take some beating.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Yes. Not for the reasons you stated though.
I'd like you to explain it. My explanation for your statement is 1) you are a jerk, 2)you are from some alternate dimension where being a patriotic American and being a fascist are the same thing, or 3) you don't understand what the word 'traitor' means. Can you explain yourself?

Or have you already called the FBI to investigate my treasonous activities?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get this entire thread. What was it's purpose?
To bring on personal attacks?
Isn't that agianst PF policy?

i would have to agree with you kat, i was hoping it would stay along the lines of free speech, but instead it crossed the (fine) line into personal attacks...

perhaps the mentor needs to lock his own thread?

Originally posted by Kerrie
i would have to agree with you kat, i was hoping it would stay along the lines of free speech, but instead it crossed the (fine) line into personal attacks...

perhaps the mentor needs to lock his own thread?
Yeah, I might have to...

The point I was trying toi make was that free speech doesn't make you a traitor, unless you are speaking about, say, classified information with other countries. Saying that Bush's policies are bad for America doesn't make you a traitor. Telling the truth about Iraq doesn't make you a traitor. Lying about why we went to Iraq may make you a traitor, or revealing the iddentity of CIA operatives to the press may be treason, but I doubt anyone in this administration will be charged.

Yeah, I might have to...

The point I was trying toi make was that free speech doesn't make you a traitor, unless you are speaking about, say, classified information with other countries. Saying that Bush's policies are bad for America doesn't make you a traitor. Telling the truth about Iraq doesn't make you a traitor. Lying about why we went to Iraq may make you a traitor, or revealing the iddentity of CIA operatives to the press may be treason, but I doubt anyone in this administration will be charged.

that's why i suggested changing the name of the thread...the titles is begging for mudslinging...

Yeah, I might have to...

The point I was trying to make was that free speech doesn't make you a traitor, unless you are speaking about, say, classified information with other countries. Saying that Bush's policies are bad for America doesn't make you a traitor. Telling the truth about Iraq doesn't make you a traitor. Lying about why we went to Iraq may make you a traitor, or revealing the iddentity of CIA operatives to the press may be treason, but I doubt anyone in this administration will be charged.

Hmm, maybe I missed something here, but there is a difference between mudslinging and law.
No, the above thoughts or speeches aren't Traitorous (?spelling??), no courtroom would convict anyone for the above. Are you saying that someone has been convicted for the above, or are you saying that someone insulted you?

Being profoundly against the Iraq war is fine, as is being for it.
Selling your country out to support either of these two positions is treachorous and the Law should act then.

I'd like you to explain it. My explanation for your statement is 1) you are a jerk, 2)you are from some alternate dimension where being a patriotic American and being a fascist are the same thing, or 3) you don't understand what the word 'traitor' means. Can you explain yourself?

Or have you already called the FBI to investigate my treasonous activities?
I'll admit "traitor" isn't quite the perfect word (your choice in any case), but I don't think there is an exact opposite to "patriot," and that's what I really consider you to be. Sometimes it seems like you just don't understand what the US is all about (a recent active thread), but other times it seems like you just plain hate everything it is and stands for. It could also be that you are describing how you WANT it to be or THINK it SHOULD be even though that isn't how it IS according to the Constitution or is MEANT to be according to the founding fathers.

I don't get this entire thread. What was it's purpose?
To bring on personal attacks?
Isn't that agianst PF policy?
And yeah - I agree with that too. It appears like the point of this thread was to troll for a fight. I've stated my opinion now - but I won't defend it. It is what it is.

Zero,

I hope you are not so mad as to be certifiable?

I think I should print this out and put it up on my wall, right between my Navy Acheivement Medal and the 12"x 20" plaque that the Marines in my batallion bought me as a going away gift...

You all know the things that I don't think work, here's a list of things that I do think work just fine:

1) Freedom of religion: kicks butt!

2) Public schools: better than you think, still needs some work but the principle is sound.

3) Local communities: still the source of American strength.

4) The average American: good folks, for the most part.

5) The men and women in the military: doing a dirty job for table scraps, deserve better than what they get.

What I guess I am complaining about is the notion that any criticism of America is seen as unpatriotic, when one of the founding principles of our country is that the government is accountable to us, and it is our duty as citizens to be the final watchdog over the government.

A good comparison I have read recently goes a little something like this: there are two ways to love your country. One way is to love it like a 5 year old loves his mommy: perfect, unconditional love, without criticism or thought, even if she beats him with a stick. The other way is how adults love each other: eyes open, aware of faults, and not afraid to point out when someone they love is doing something wrong.

I think I should print this out and put it up on my wall, right between my Navy Acheivement Medal and the 12"x 20" plaque that the Marines in my batallion bought me as a going away gift...

You all know the things that I don't think work, here's a list of things that I do think work just fine:

1) Freedom of religion: kicks butt!

2) Public schools: better than you think, still needs some work but the principle is sound.

3) Local communities: still the source of American strength.

4) The average American: good folks, for the most part.

5) The men and women in the military: doing a dirty job for table scraps, deserve better than what they get.

What I guess I am complaining about is the notion that any criticism of America is seen as unpatriotic, when one of the founding principles of our country is that the government is accountable to us, and it is our duty as citizens to be the final watchdog over the government.

A good comparison I have read recently goes a little something like this: there are two ways to love your country. One way is to love it like a 5 year old loves his mommy: perfect, unconditional love, without criticism or thought, even if she beats him with a stick. The other way is how adults love each other: eyes open, aware of faults, and not afraid to point out when someone they love is doing something wrong.

If all your postings were well reasoned like this one, and not so confrontational, perhaps more people would listen to what you have to say.
:smile:

If all your postings were well reasoned like this one, and not so confrontational, perhaps more people would listen to what you have to say.
:smile:
I should have followed my advice about becoming what you despise, I guess...I must read too much extreme right-wing nonsense, and I may have picked up that tone in my posting. I'm working on it, you know?