Anyone studying engineering and working P.T.

In summary, balancing a full-time engineering course load with two part-time jobs is manageable with proper time management. Sacrifices in other areas, such as dating and sleep, may need to be made. However, it is possible to maintain healthy grades while working in this manner.
nikola-tesla
Is it manageable to study engineering full time and work 2 days a week?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is! I work TWO P.T jobs and study engineering full time. I put in about 21 hrs on weekends! I work as a computer technician in my school and then I work at a local coffee shop. It would be great if I could quit one of thoes P.T jobs, but due to circumstances I cannot. My grades are in healthy condition too.

It all comes down to proper time management. But even with that, I still get a few hours less sleep every night. I could only imagine what would happen if I didnt manage my time properly.

Last edited:
Yep, doing it now. I'm a full time EE student and I work about 30 hours per week, 15 at a shop and about 15 to 20 on the side as a network admin for a small company. It's very manageable, but there are some sacrifices. I'm not currently dating and I make sure to get to bed by 10 every night. I had to break up with my last GF because she couldn't accept the amount of time I was able to spend with her.

In the spring I'll be studying engineering part time while working full time. I'll switch to full time school and part time work when my wife finishes her degree.

Jeff, you are sooooooo good boyfriend, I wish to find one like you.

1. What is the typical work schedule for someone studying engineering and working part-time?

The work schedule for someone studying engineering and working part-time can vary depending on their specific job and university schedule. However, most part-time jobs require around 20-25 hours of work per week, which can be balanced with a full-time course load.

2. How do you manage the workload of studying engineering and working part-time?

Managing the workload of studying engineering and working part-time can be challenging but it is essential to have good time management skills. This includes creating a schedule, prioritizing tasks, and setting aside specific times for studying and work.

3. Is it possible to maintain good grades while working part-time as an engineering student?

Yes, it is possible to maintain good grades while working part-time as an engineering student. It requires dedication, good time management, and effective study habits. It is also important to communicate with your employer about your academic commitments and schedule to ensure a balance between work and studies.

4. What kind of part-time jobs are suitable for engineering students?

Part-time jobs that are suitable for engineering students can vary, but some options include working as a tutor, research assistant, or in a related field such as drafting or CAD. It is also beneficial to find a job that aligns with your interests and schedule.

5. How does working part-time while studying engineering benefit future career prospects?

Working part-time while studying engineering can provide valuable experience and skills that can benefit future career prospects. It can also help with financial stability and networking opportunities. Additionally, it shows employers that the student has good time management skills and is able to balance multiple responsibilities.