Volume expansion problem wheres initial volume?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the beta value of a liquid based on its density at two different temperatures. The formula for calculating beta is mentioned, but the initial volume is assumed to be 1 cm, which may be incorrect. The system says the answer is wrong, but the conversation suggests that there may be an error in the question or the system's calculation.
Dantes
A liquid has a maximum density of 0.6 g/cm^3 at 3.7 C. At 11.4C , its density is 0.60888 g/cm^3. What is beta for this liquid over this temperature interval? Answer in units of (C)^-1.

Obviously this has to do with the volume expansion so I made the formula deltaV = beta * initial volume * delta temperature into beta = deltaV / (initial volume * delta temperature) assuming that initial volume is 1 cm since its not stated in the problem and that's wrong.

I came out with 0.00115325 doing it that way. System says I am wrong.

Am I on the right track or am I not thinking outside the box enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...switching to kelvin opps :biggrin:

edit: doesn't matter since its a constant.

Dantes said:
A liquid has a maximum density of 0.6 g/cm^3 at 3.7 C. At 11.4C , its density is 0.60888 g/cm^3. What is beta for this liquid over this temperature interval? Answer in units of (C)^-1.
Obviously this has to do with the volume expansion so I made the formula deltaV = beta * initial volume * delta temperature into beta = deltaV / (initial volume * delta temperature) assuming that initial volume is 1 cm since its not stated in the problem and that's wrong.
I came out with 0.00115325 doing it that way. System says I am wrong.
Am I on the right track or am I not thinking outside the box enough?

Is 0.60888 less than, equal to, or greater than 0.6? Methinks you need to check the question, and if you've copied it correctly, it's time to pick bones with whoever programs the exercises into the "system."

1. What is volume expansion?

Volume expansion is the increase in size or volume of a substance, typically due to an increase in temperature.

2. Why does volume expansion occur?

Volume expansion occurs because as the temperature of a substance increases, the molecules within the substance gain more kinetic energy and move around more, causing the substance to expand.

3. How does volume expansion affect different substances?

Volume expansion affects different substances differently depending on their physical properties. For example, gases typically experience the greatest expansion, followed by liquids, and then solids.

4. What is the initial volume?

The initial volume refers to the starting volume of a substance before any changes, such as temperature, are applied.

5. How is the initial volume used in volume expansion problems?

The initial volume is used in volume expansion problems to calculate the final volume of a substance after a change in temperature. It is typically denoted as "V1" in equations and is necessary for determining the change in volume.