What are the limitations of Coulumb's law and how can they be calculated?

• Thread starter MarekS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the minimum distance between two electrons moving towards each other at a specific speed and angle can be calculated using the formula l=2kq^2*cos a/mv^2. However, this assumes point particles and does not take into account the radius of the electrons. There may be a flaw in Coulomb's equation, as different types of forces can have different properties.
MarekS
I have 2 problems with Coulumb's law:

1) contrary to a gravitational field isn't there a limit to the area of a magnetic field? How can this be calculated? F= kq1q2 / d^2 doesn't point it out.
2) same thing moving inward. Does the force grow to infity, when distances get smaller.
Also a related exercise: 2 electrons are moving toward each other at a specific speed (v) and a specific angle (a). What is the minimal distance (l) between them?

They'll move with a hyperbolic trajectory, but in my opinion contact should also be possible (necessity of sufficient speed).

My calculations:

F=kq^2 / l^2 E=mv^2/2 E=Fl*cos a

kq^2 / l^2=mv^2/2l*cos a

l=2kq^2*cos a/mv^2

When using electron's mass, charge and a is 0 (cos a=1) the answer is ruffly l=506/v^2

Of course that rules out the possibility of contact, but the flaw is already in Coulumb's equation.

Does this make any sense?

MarekS

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1) contrary to a gravitational field isn't there a limit to the area of a magnetic field?

I suggest that you step back and review the differences between magnetic and electric fields first.

Coulomb's Law has a inverse square property that means that there just like gravititational fields. I'm with Tide, re-read the sections on this.

MarekS said:
1) contrary to a gravitational field isn't there a limit to the area of a magnetic field? How can this be calculated? F= kq1q2 / d^2 doesn't point it out.
Where did you get the idea that a magnetic field was limited? In fact where did you get the idea that Couloumb's law applies to magnetic fields? What you give is the strength of the electric force between two charged particles.
2) same thing moving inward. Does the force grow to infity, when distances get smaller.
Yes, assuming point particles. Of course for real particles, the force is maximum when they make contact.
Also a related exercise: 2 electrons are moving toward each other at a specific speed (v) and a specific angle (a). What is the minimal distance (l) between them?
They'll move with a hyperbolic trajectory, but in my opinion contact should also be possible (necessity of sufficient speed).
My calculations:
F=kq^2 / l^2 E=mv^2/2 E=Fl*cos a
kq^2 / l^2=mv^2/2l*cos a
l=2kq^2*cos a/mv^2
When using electron's mass, charge and a is 0 (cos a=1) the answer is ruffly l=506/v^2
Of course that rules out the possibility of contact, but the flaw is already in Coulumb's equation.
Does this make any sense?
MarekS
Have you taken into account the radius of the electrons?

The minimum distance happens to be
kq^2/(mv^2 Cos^2(a/2))
ie if they are head on it is kq^2/mv^2

where k is the 1/(4*pi*epsilon_0) in vaccum

OK, magnetic field was a slip of the tongue. What I ment was electric field.

Coulomb's Law has a inverse square property that means that there just like gravititational fields.

Yes, I understand Coulumb's law, but what I'm saying is that its flawed. At least according to my teacher, who claimed that contrary to grav fields electric, magnetic or electromagnetic fields have a limited area. Its similar to strong or weak interaction, where for example protons are together despite electric force, but when a nucleus gets too big it breaks down because these interactions have a limited area. Also the force between quarks gets increasingly stronger as they are pulled apart and weaker, when they're together. So what I'm saying is that all the 4 types of forces have different fields and different properties. Am I wrong?

Yes, assuming point particles. Of course for real particles, the force is maximum when they make contact.
Have you taken into account the radius of the electrons?

OK, but why are we assuming that the force is generated from within the particle?

If so, then yes contact is possible, but why can't it be generated from the outer point of the electron? Then the force grows to infinity and contact is impossible.

balakrishnan_v said:
The minimum distance happens to be
kq^2/(mv^2 Cos^2(a/2))
ie if they are head on it is kq^2/mv^2

where k is the 1/(4*pi*epsilon_0) in vaccum

Thanks Balakrishnan_v! For the head on collision my calculations were almost the same, only double the size. But can you send me a detailed solution. I can't see how you got to the solution.

MarekS

Now turn the plane such that the 2 electrons are symmetrically moving.
ie e1 starts from -infty with speed v_0 at angle a/2
and e2 start at +infty at angle a/2
The vertical component does not change as there is no force in that direction

Energy(total) at infinity=mv^2/2+mv^2/2=mv^2

AlsoAt point of min distance both would be moving upwards(no horizontal component).
So KE=mv_y^2

where v_y=vSin(a/2)

So we get
mv^2=mv_y^2+PE
or PE=mv^2 Cos^2(a/2)
interaction energy of 2 electrons is kq^2/x

So we get
mv^2 Cos^2(a/2)= kq^2/x
So
x=kq^2/{mv^2 Cos^2(a/2)}

You are correct when you state that fields have differing properties, however, I am not a expert on field types so I can't give rebuttal to your teacher's argument.

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged objects. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are the units of Coulomb's law?

The units of Coulomb's law are newtons (N) for force, coulombs (C) for charge, and meters (m) for distance. In the SI system, the constant of proportionality in Coulomb's law, known as the Coulomb's constant, has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. How does Coulomb's law change with distance?

Coulomb's law follows an inverse-square relationship with distance. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the force between them decreases proportionally. For example, if the distance between two objects doubles, the force between them decreases by a factor of four.

4. Can Coulomb's law be applied to point charges only?

Coulomb's law can be applied to any charged object, as long as the distance between the objects is much larger than their sizes. However, for practical purposes, it is often applied to point charges, which are considered to have a negligible size compared to the distance between them.

5. How does Coulomb's law compare to Newton's law of gravitation?

Coulomb's law and Newton's law of gravitation have a similar mathematical form, as both follow an inverse-square relationship with distance. However, Coulomb's law applies to electric charges, while Newton's law applies to masses. Additionally, the Coulomb's constant is much larger than the gravitational constant, resulting in a much stronger force between two charged objects compared to the force between two massive objects.