How do I decipher the notation in Sakurai's Modern QM problem?

In summary, the problem at hand involves deciphering notation from the second exercise of Sakurai's Modern QM first chapter. The matrix X is written as X=a_0+\sigma \cdot a, where a_0 and a_k are numbers and X_{ij} represents the matrix elements. The main point is that the Pauli matrices form a complete set, and the notation is shorthand for X=a_0 I+a_1 \sigma_1+a_2 \sigma_2+a_3 \sigma 3, or X=a_0 \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)+a_1 \left( \begin
inha
I need help with deciphering notation from the second excercise of Sakurai's Modern QM's first chapter. Here's how it's presented in the book:

Suppose a 2x2 matrix X (not neccessarily Hermitian, nor unitary) is written as
[tex]X=a_0+\sigma \cdot a [/tex],
where a_0 and a_k (k=1,2,3) are numbers.

a. How are a_0 and a_k related to tr(X) and tr([tex]\sigma_k X[/tex] )
b. Obtain a_0 and a_k in terms of the matrix elements [tex]X_{ij}[/tex]

Now I have no idea what the matrix X is supposed to look like. Nor can I even figure out how a 2x2 matrix could be written like that. I remember seeing someone ask something about the same excercise here but I couldn't find that thread via search. I can't really present any work here since I don't know what the matrix is supposed to look like but could someone help me get started with this anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
The main point here is that the Pauli matrices form a
complete set. The notation is shorthand for:
[tex] X = a_0 I + a_1 \sigma_1 + a_2 \sigma_2 + a_3 \sigma 3 [/tex]
or
[tex] X = a_0 \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)
+ a_1 \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
+ a_2 \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{array} \right)
+ a_3 \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

Now to solve the problem you'll want to use the following facts
Tr(A+B) = Tr(A) + Tr(B)
Tr(sigma_i) = 0
sigma_i . sigma_i = I
sigma_1. sigma_2 = i sigma_3 (and even permutations).

Thanks a lot! I didn't realize that the sigmas were supposed to be the Pauli matrices and that got me confused.

1. What is odd notation in a QM problem?

Odd notation in a QM problem refers to non-standard or unusual mathematical symbols or notations used in quantum mechanics. These notations may be used to represent physical quantities, operators, or equations in a unique way.

2. Why is odd notation used in QM problems?

Odd notation is often used in QM problems to simplify complex equations or to represent physical quantities in a more concise and efficient manner. It may also be used to highlight certain properties or relationships between variables.

3. How do I interpret odd notation in a QM problem?

Interpreting odd notation in a QM problem requires a thorough understanding of the underlying mathematical principles in quantum mechanics. It is important to carefully examine the context of the problem and consult with a textbook or instructor for clarification if needed.

4. Can I use my own notation in a QM problem?

It is generally recommended to use standard notation when solving QM problems, as it allows for easier communication and understanding among scientists. However, in some cases, using unique notation may be acceptable as long as it is clearly defined and consistent throughout the problem.

5. Are there any common odd notations used in QM problems?

Yes, there are several odd notations that are commonly used in QM problems, such as bra-ket notation, matrix notation, and Dirac notation. These notations may appear unusual at first, but they have been widely adopted in the field of quantum mechanics for their convenience and effectiveness in representing complex concepts and equations.