How Accurate Are These Calculations for Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass 0.5kg colliding with and sticking to a massless pan attached to an ideal spring. The function for displacement, x(t), is determined to be x(t) = .25sin(8t). The period, T, of subsequent oscillations is calculated to be .785 seconds. The kinetic energy of the mass 4.0 seconds after the collision is found to be .997 joules. The force exerted by the spring on the block at t=1.2 seconds is determined to be -1.334N, with the block moving in the opposite direction. It is also mentioned that x0=0m when using the calculated equation.
nyyfan0729
A block of mass 0.5kg moving on a horizontal frictionless surface at 2.0 m/s collides with and sticks to a massless pan attached to the end of a horizontal ideal spring whose spring constan is 32 N/m.
a) Determine the function for x(t), the displacement from equilibrium position as a function of time.
I got this to be x(t) = .25sin(8t)

b) What is the period T, of the subsequent oscillations?
I got the period to be .785 sec

c) What is the kinetic energy of the mass 4.0 sec after it collides with the spring?
I got this to be .997j

d) What force is exerted by the spring on the block at t=1.2 sec? Which way is the block moving? Explain
I got the force to be -1.334N

ARE MY ANSWERS RIGHT, I ALSO SAID THAT Xo=0m when using my equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show your working, it is much easier to check for systematic errors, you can't expect someone to work through your problems from scratch.

I would say that your answers seem to be correct based on the given information. However, it is always important to show your work and explain your reasoning in order to ensure the accuracy of your calculations. Additionally, it would be helpful to include units for each of your values to make the answer more clear. Overall, your understanding of simple harmonic motion and its related concepts appears to be accurate.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a fixed equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down, or a mass attached to a vertical spring hanging from a ceiling.

3. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Periodic Motion?

Periodic motion refers to any type of motion that repeats itself after a certain amount of time, while Simple Harmonic Motion specifically refers to a type of periodic motion that follows a sinusoidal pattern with a constant amplitude and period.

4. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to Hooke's Law?

Simple Harmonic Motion is closely related to Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that the further the spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts.

5. What is the formula for calculating the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula applies to any type of Simple Harmonic Motion, including a spring-mass system or a pendulum.