Modern Physics textbook - Suggestions?

In summary, the conversation discusses different modern physics books and their editions. The speakers mention the books "Modern Physics" by Paul Tipler, Modern Physics by Raymond A. Serway, Modern Physics by Kenneth S. Krane, Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers by John Taylor, Modern Physics by Jeremy Bernstein, and Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser. They also discuss the differences between editions and recommend different books based on their experiences. Overall, the conversation suggests that the choice of book depends on the reason for using it, such as for review or teaching purposes.
Robert100
Back when I was in college I used "Modern Physics" by Paul Tipler. It seemed like a good book (and it helped to have a good teacher.) This book was copyright 1978 by Worth Publishers; I took it to be a 2nd edition since it was a revision of Tipler's 1969 "Foundation of Modern Physics".

Recently I decided to buy an updated version of this book: I found that the latest version is from W.H. Freeman & Co.

A 3rd and 4th edition seem to be currently available. I was thinking about buying one of these new editions. Any thoughts? Is the 4th edition really worth paying the extra $$$ for?

Also, would anyone reccomend that I not get Tipler, but rather other modern physics books, such as:

Modern Physics by Raymond A. Serway

Modern Physics by Kenneth S. Krane

Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Second Edition by John Taylor

Modern Physics by Jeremy Bernstein

Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
To what would you use any of these books?

Daniel.

I'm curious about this too. Are you getting it for review purposes? Are you teaching a class? I would recommend different books for different reasons.

We use Taylor's book, and I think its pretty good. Its more expensive than some of the others though.

tiper

does any have the TIPLER 5ºth ed. digital format like pdf? please if anybody have it please contact me at pablo_artusi@hotmail.com
thanks

An old thread but:
It caught my eye because I also used Tippler's 1978 version in school. I recently picked up a copy of Serway, Moses, Moyer because I actually had Serway as a professor.
They pretty much cover the same material. Serway's explains some of it a little better. The problems though are a little more absract meaning at best they make you think outside the box and at worst you do not understand what they are asking until you work it backwords from the answer.

1. What are the main topics covered in a modern physics textbook?

A modern physics textbook typically covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular structure, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It may also include sections on cosmology and astrophysics.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for studying modern physics?

Yes, there are many popular textbooks for modern physics, such as "Modern Physics" by Serway, Moses, and Moyer, "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Richtmyer, and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Thornton and Rex.

3. Is prior knowledge of physics required to understand modern physics?

Yes, a basic understanding of classical physics is necessary to fully comprehend modern physics concepts. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics before studying modern physics.

4. How can I make the most out of a modern physics textbook?

To get the most out of a modern physics textbook, it is important to read actively and engage with the material. This can include taking notes, solving practice problems, and discussing concepts with others. It is also helpful to supplement the textbook with additional resources, such as online lectures or study guides.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a modern physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a modern physics textbook. These can include video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice quizzes. Some popular websites for modern physics resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.