A question for Graduate students (in any subject)

In summary, the speaker is asking for opinions and experiences from international forumers, particularly those from England or the USA, about the job prospects for graduate students in physics, math, or other science fields. They mention their own struggles in finding a stable and well-paid job despite having finished their degree with low qualifications. They also bring up a similar experience from another user on a forum and an article about the job market in Spain. The speaker is looking for insights and advice on how to improve their chances of finding a good job in their field of study.
eljose
I didn,t know where to put this question hope it fits here :shy: :shy: here is my question...i am a Physics graduate student from Spain (Solid State ) but i have had no luck and in spite of having finished the career about 3 years ago (2003) with no very good qualifications, i have not been able to find a "serious" (stable,well-paid..) job, i am 27 years old and i have only worked ¡¡¡12 days¡¡¡ in all my life :frown: :frown: and in very bad jobs (Pizza deliverer,cleaning service worker= 12 hours job by only 30€ and so on), yes that,s very sad but my question to this international forumers from England or the USA is if in their countries the situation is similar to mine..:uhh: :uhh: that,s it if you are graduate students in physics,math or other science and have a good job or if it took you a lot of time to find a good and suitable job to your universitary knowledge.

I have checked several forums and in this a user called "Pengwino" or something similar complained about having a PhD and not finding a job or something similar, on the other hand i read in a newspaper in my country that Spain was "the only country in Europe that having an university degree didn,t provide you a good job", so i would like to know from people from Europe,America or Asia navigating in this forum their opinion and experiences..thanks in advance for your interest...

Physics news on Phys.org
What concerns me is the statement "having finished the career about 3 years ago (2003) with no very good qualifications".

I would expect a graduate student to be doing research relevant to one's particular field.

In my experience, getting an MS or even PhD is essential!

eljose, in what area of solid state physics was your study?

Also, for any university student, it is important to become involved in professional societies so that one can make contacts and keep abreast of current and ongoing developments in one's field.

Dear Physics graduate student,

I am sorry to hear about your struggles in finding a suitable job after completing your degree. I can understand how frustrating and disheartening it must be to have put in all the hard work and effort into your education, only to find limited job opportunities.

Unfortunately, the job market for scientists can be very competitive and it is not uncommon for even highly qualified individuals to face difficulties in securing stable and well-paid jobs. However, I would like to assure you that this is not a reflection of your abilities or qualifications.

In my experience as a scientist, I have found that networking and building connections within the scientific community can greatly increase job prospects. It might be worth reaching out to professors, colleagues, or alumni from your university who are working in the field and asking for advice or potential job opportunities. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops can also provide valuable networking opportunities.

I cannot speak for the job market in other countries, but I believe that the situation may vary depending on the specific field and location. It would be helpful to do some research and reach out to professionals in your desired field to gain a better understanding of the job market and potential opportunities.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search and hope that you will soon find a suitable job that utilizes your knowledge and skills. Do not lose hope and continue to pursue your passion for science. Remember that your education and determination will eventually pay off.

What is the purpose of asking a question for graduate students?

The purpose of asking a question for graduate students is to stimulate critical thinking and encourage deeper exploration and understanding of a particular topic or subject.

What makes a question suitable for graduate students?

A question suitable for graduate students should be open-ended, thought-provoking, and relevant to their field of study. It should also require a higher level of analysis and application of knowledge.

Can a question for graduate students be answered with a simple yes or no?

No, a question for graduate students should not be able to be answered with a simple yes or no. It should require a more complex and thorough response that demonstrates a deeper understanding of the topic.

How can asking questions benefit graduate students?

Asking questions can benefit graduate students by promoting critical thinking skills, encouraging active engagement with the material, and fostering a deeper understanding of the subject. It can also help students develop their own ideas and perspectives.

Is it important for graduate students to ask questions?

Yes, it is important for graduate students to ask questions. It shows that they are actively engaged and interested in the subject, and it can lead to a deeper understanding and more meaningful learning experience. Additionally, asking questions can help graduate students prepare for their future careers in research and academia.