Solving H2SO4 + NH4OH Acid-Base Reaction

• Thread starter Mozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a complete ionic equation, identifying spectator ions, and writing the net ionic equation for the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH. The final balanced equation is determined to be H2SO4(aq) + 2NH4OH(aq) -> (NH4)2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l). It is also noted that NH4OH is a weak base and the net ionic equation would be H+(aq) + NH4OH(aq) -> H2O(l) + NH4+(aq). The dissociation of H2SO4 and the strength of HSO4- as a weak acid are also discussed
Mozart
I have to write the complete ionic equation, list the spectator ions, and write the net ionic equation for [tex]H_2SO_4(aq) + NH_4OH(aq)[/tex]

I thought I should attempt to write out the balanced chemical equation so this is what I got.

[tex]H_2SO_4(aq) + 2NH_4OH(aq) \longrightarrow SO_4(NH_4)_2(aq) + 2H_2O(l)[/tex]

I just don't feel right about putting [tex](NH_4)_2(aq)[/tex] with [tex]SO_4(aq)[/tex] I don't know why...

I won't bother writing out what I got for the complete ionic equation, spectator ions, and net ionic equation since it would all be wrong if my balanced chemical reaction was wrong.

Can someone please help me with this first step though. Many many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the reaction should be:

[tex]H_2SO_4(aq) + 2NH_4OH(aq) \longrightarrow (NH_4)_2SO_4(aq) + 2H_2O(l)[/tex]

Because,

[tex]H_2SO_4(aq) + 2NH_4OH(aq) \longrightarrow H^+ + SO_4^{2-} + NH_4^+ + OH^-[/tex]

[tex]H^+[/tex] reacts with [tex]OH^-[/tex] to form water.
[tex]NH_4^+[/tex] reacts with [tex]SO_4^{2-}[/tex] to form [tex](NH_4)_2SO_4[/tex], first the cation, then the anion and to have no charge they have to combine 2:1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4) is a strong acid, Ammonium Hydroxide (NH4OH) is a weak base, together, they should produce a salt + water.
The salt they would produce would be Ammonium Sulfate [(NH4)2SO4].

H2SO4 (aq) + 2 NH4OH (aq) --> (NH4)2SO4 (aq) + H2O (l)

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A6192.htm" is soluble in water (41.22 g/100 mL), so it will be in solution in the final product.

Since both the Ammonium ad Sulfate ions are in solution in the reactants and products, in the net ionic equation, they cancel out, leaving just,
H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) --> H2O (l)

I thought ammonium hydroxide was a strong base. For any strong acid-strong base reaction, the net ionic equation will be H+ + OH- ---> H2O

No, Ammonium Hydroxide is a weak base...weak as in it does not completely disassociate when dissolved, unlike H2SO4.

So, actually, I would like to revise my answer.
Since most of the NH4OH is not broken into ions, the net ionic reaction would be,
H+(aq) + NH4OH(aq) --> H2O(l) + NH4+(aq)
The H+ ion from the sulfuric acid will react with the NH4OH to make H2O and leave the Ammonium ion in solution.

H2SO4 is a strong acid, but HSO4- is a very weak acid...so won't the H2SO4 dissociate into H+ and HSO4- ions and not completely into H+ and SO42- ions?

Maybe I'm way off on this...

ksinclair13 said:
H2SO4 is a strong acid, but HSO4- is a very weak acid...so won't the H2SO4 dissociate into H+ and HSO4- ions and not completely into H+ and SO42- ions?

Maybe I'm way off on this...

Slightly :smile:

HSO4- is weaker, but not as weak as you think. pKa2=2.

0.01M sulfuric acid has pH of 1.85. For a very weak second step you may expect pH=2.00.Borek

1. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH is H2SO4 + 2NH4OH → (NH4)2SO4 + 2H2O.

2. Is the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy.

3. What is the pH level of the resulting solution after the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH?

The resulting solution after the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH will have a pH level of approximately 7, making it neutral.

4. Can this reaction be used to neutralize acid spills?

Yes, this reaction can be used to neutralize acid spills as the base, NH4OH, will neutralize the acid, H2SO4, to form a neutral solution.

5. How does the concentration of H2SO4 and NH4OH affect the reaction?

The concentration of H2SO4 and NH4OH affects the reaction by determining the amount of reactants available for the reaction. Increasing the concentration of either H2SO4 or NH4OH can speed up the reaction, while decreasing the concentration will slow it down.