Undergrad Research: A Valuable Asset for Grad School Applications?

In summary, doing research this summer (and possibly throughout undergraduate studies) will look good on a graduate school application, especially if it is in the same field as the desired graduate degree. It shows dedication and experience in the field of study. It is also beneficial to have a research experience that is related to what is studied in school, rather than a job that is unrelated. Even if the research is not paid, it demonstrates a willingness to learn and contribute to the field. Additionally, research can provide a bridge between theory and hands-on practice. It can also be a valuable talking point in job interviews. Overall, research is a positive addition to a graduate school application.
Maxwell
I have been given the opportunity to do research this summer. However, since I am an undergraduate, I will not be paid. I'm not going to be starving, so I don't NEED to work, but it's nice to have money.

So, if I do research this summer (and possibly the rest of the time I am an undergrad), will this look good when I apply to grad school?

I am an EE, btw. I am looking to go to grad school for a masters degree, but I will most likely go to industry after.

Will research look good on my application to graduate schools, or should I just work my normal job? How good does it look?

Thanks.

BTW - the research is in the field (or similar) that I'd like to pursue on the graduate level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Research always looks good on a grad school application.

Yes. There should be no reason for it to not be a good thing.

Assuming you're going to be doing research in your field of study, yes it will look good. It shows that you have gotten involved in something you study at school, therefore gaining experience in that particular field of study.

This is different opposed to just having a job at 7-11, which shows no connection whatsoever to what you do in school. (Unless you calculate the heat transfer within hotdogs in your free time)

Another positive thing about it being not-paid is that you are volunteering to sacrifice your time to learn more about what you do. That should be a positive thing to anyone reading your application because you're not solely doing it to get paid. You are doing it because you want to learn more (otherwise you could just simply say blah and reject the offer).

There's nothing working against you here. If you can do it, I'd take up the offer unless you can get a better research position elsewhere.

The point is that there is absolutely no reason why it should work against you, it wouldn't make any sense. (Unless you failed a class or something and decided to do this instead of making it up during the summer, heh)

Last edited:
Research is always helpful and i think it doesn't matter in which field you do..but important fact is that you should get published i.e. you should be able to achieve something out of that...that will show recruiters ,the guy has guts and can take challenges..

And i think you should do Research in subjects you have studied,not pick up completely alien..like the developed curisioties while you did a particular course should act as driving force..

for an undergrad just participating in research is enough merit. an research assistants contribution is rarely big enough to warrant anything besides maybe the position of the last name on the paper.

Go for the research. It can provide a valuable bridge between theory and hands on practice. The research I did as an undergrad was a plus in getting into grad school and with job interviews I otherwise might not have gotten. The only scary part was having to give a presentation on the research in a follow up job interview! Plus, my name was the last one on the paper, which was a great feeling of pride years later when I found the paper in the university library. I still have a copy of the paper somewhere...

What is the value of undergrad research?

The value of undergrad research lies in the opportunities it provides for students to gain practical experience in their field of study. It allows them to apply their knowledge, skills, and creativity to real-world problems, which can enhance their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

How does undergrad research benefit students?

Undergrad research can benefit students in various ways. It can help them develop a deeper understanding of their subject, build their resume for future job or graduate school applications, and foster mentorship relationships with faculty members. It can also lead to publications and conference presentations, which can enhance their academic credentials.

Do undergrad research experiences lead to better job opportunities?

Yes, undergrad research experiences can lead to better job opportunities. Employers often value candidates who have practical research experience, as it demonstrates their ability to think critically and solve problems. Research experience can also give students a competitive edge over other job applicants.

How can undergrad research benefit the scientific community?

Undergrad research can benefit the scientific community by providing fresh perspectives and ideas from young researchers. It can also contribute to ongoing research projects and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields. Additionally, undergrad research can help build a diverse and inclusive scientific community by providing opportunities for underrepresented groups.

Is it necessary to have prior research experience before starting undergrad research?

No, it is not necessary to have prior research experience before starting undergrad research. Many students begin their research journey without any prior experience and learn through hands-on training and guidance from faculty mentors. However, having some knowledge and skills related to the research topic can be helpful.