The Chemical Basis of Industry

In summary, the chemical basis of industry involves identifying key chemical reactions and their role in various industries such as automobile, cleaning, clothing manufacture, computer, construction, cosmetic, dental, farming, food preparation, food processing, fuel, law enforcement, medical, photography, and software. These reactions are used to produce products that benefit both the industry and society. Industry statistics regarding the annual consumption and production of these chemical species are also important to consider. Recent advances in industries may have chemical foundations, and it is crucial to address any potential environmental concerns that may arise from the chemical processes involved. Precautions and solutions should be in place to prevent environmental accidents. To further explore the chemical basis of an industry, one can focus on the primary product and
AngelShare
"The Chemical Basis of Industry"

Choose one of the industries listed below to research.

automobile
cleaning
clothing manufacture
computer
construction
cosmetic
dental
farming
food preparation
food processing
fuel
law enforcement
medical
photography
software

Your report should contain information on the following topics.

Identify chemical reactions upon which the industry relies.

Determine the role that each reaction plays in the industry.

How are the products of the reaction used by the industry?

What benefits does the process bring to the industry or to the larger society?

Obtain industry statistics regarding the annual consumption or production of the reaction species.

Has the industry made any recent advances that have chemical foundations?

Are there environmental concerns that arise as a result of the chemical processes?

Detail the nature of any environmental problems associated with the chemical processes.

What solutions and precautions are in place to prevent environmental accidents?

I can't find any information...I'd appreciate it if someone could link me to some really good, helpful sites.:smile: I haven't chosen what topic I'm going to do yet because I figured I'd just choose whichever one I found the easiest but, so far, I haven't been able to find anything so...:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of any chemical reactions that are important to anyone of the industries you've listed? :rolleyes:

Could you read what I posted and tell me how that's going to get my entire project done?:rolleyes:

Yes, it is the first step.. Try a few and see where they lead.
You need to draw some relationships between one of those industries and chemical reactions upon which they rely. This can be a stepwise process. All those questions together may seem overwhelming. :bugeye: Try to break it down, not think about it all together. :smile:

Eh, everything is rather overwhelming right now...however, I can't seem to get past the first question...which I know is stupid but my mind is simply drawing a blank...this is definitely reminiscent of not being able to remember something as simple as the word "jello" mid-conversation.:shy: :rofl:

Thanks, Bystander, I'll look over that and see if it helps any.:smile:

For each industry listed, one could list the primary product and then list what materials are used in that product. Every material is some form of chemical (metal alloy, compound or collection of compound). For example, the automobile industry produces cars - cars contain metal alloys such as steel which is an alloy of iron, carbon and other metals, plastics and polymers (some paneling and interior), glass (windshield, windows, and lamps/lights), and rubber (tires).

Metals are extracted from minerals (compounds of metal oxides, sulfides, silicates, . . . .), which must be thermochemically processed to separate metals from the other elements.

Industries such as computers and software overlap, since software enables computers to function and computers are used to 'write' software.

So, select an industry, a product of that industry, and then the chemicals making the product and those which are involved in the making of the product.

Here's another example ...

As you probably are away, software are programs written by humans. So you could actually focus on chemistry used to maintain human life or quality of life [nutrition, pharmaceuticals, quality of living space (heating, cooling), ambience of living space (music, art, plants, animals)]. :smile:

Although you would be perfectly correct in focusing on the above chemistry, your instructor may not necessarily agree with you..

So if you wanted to expand more, another aspect of software is the media upon which it is distributed and stored; optical disks (CD, DVD), magnetic media (hard-drive, floppy disks, zip disks, portable flash RAM memory). Go into the chemistry of one or more of those storage media (organic polymers etc..).

Software is also stored at other locations and available electronically via the net (chemistry of materials needed to create and maintain the internet might be explored: optical fibers, modem, ethernet cards, wireless network cards, satellites, antennas, amplifiers, filters.. etc..)

Thanks you two, it doesn't seem too difficult now.:smile:

1. What is the chemical basis of industry?

The chemical basis of industry refers to the use of chemical processes and reactions to produce goods and materials that are essential for our daily lives. It involves the conversion of raw materials into useful products through various chemical reactions.

2. Why is the chemical industry important?

The chemical industry plays a crucial role in our society by providing essential products such as medicines, plastics, fuels, and many others. It also helps to drive economic growth and innovation, as well as improve our quality of life.

3. What are some examples of industries that rely on chemical processes?

Some industries that heavily rely on chemical processes include pharmaceuticals, agriculture, manufacturing, food and beverage, and energy. These industries use chemicals to create products such as medicines, fertilizers, plastics, and fuels.

4. How does the chemical industry impact the environment?

The chemical industry can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides essential products that improve our lives, but on the other hand, it can also release harmful chemicals into the environment if not properly managed. That's why it's important for the industry to adopt sustainable practices and reduce its environmental footprint.

5. What are some current developments in the chemical industry?

The chemical industry is constantly evolving and adapting to new technologies and global challenges. Some current developments in the industry include the use of renewable resources, development of new materials and processes, and the adoption of green chemistry principles to reduce waste and pollution.