Is a PhD in Econophysics Worth Pursuing for Math or Physics Majors?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of obtaining a PhD in economics/mathematical economics with a major in math and minor in economics. It is noted that this varies among schools and that some offer programs such as econophysics. The relevance of undergraduate degrees in math or physics is also discussed.
courtrigrad
Lets say I major in math and minor in economics. Is it feasible to do a PhD in economics/mathematical economics? Is this conidered applied math?

Physics news on Phys.org
it is different for different school. Most of schools in US do not even ofter mathematic and economics together. The degree that is the most alike is perhaps call operational research.

Should it (does it) matter whether your undergraduate degree is in math or physics?
PhD programs with the math/economics relation exist (here in the US), where you can receive a PhD in econophysics or something similar at certain schools. I know the http://www.phys.uh.edu/econophysics.htm" [Broken] offers such a program.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Would it make sense to conduct this experiment?

To determine if conducting an experiment would make sense, you should consider the purpose and goal of the experiment, the available resources and time, and the potential outcomes and benefits. It would also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field to gather their opinions and insights.

2. How do I know if my results make sense?

To determine if your results make sense, you should compare them to your initial hypothesis and the expected outcomes based on previous research. It would also be helpful to conduct statistical analysis to ensure the results are significant and not due to chance. Additionally, peer review and validation from other scientists in the field can help confirm the validity of your results.

3. Would it make sense to use this methodology for my study?

The choice of methodology depends on the research question and the type of data that needs to be collected. It would make sense to use a methodology that is appropriate for your specific study and has been proven effective in similar research. Consulting with other researchers and experts in the field can also help determine the most suitable methodology for your study.

4. How can I make my research findings make sense to others?

To make your research findings make sense to others, it is important to provide clear and concise explanations, use appropriate scientific terminology, and present your data in a visually appealing and organized manner. Additionally, providing context and explaining the significance of your findings in relation to previous research can help others understand the relevance and impact of your study.

5. Would it make sense to continue this line of research?

The decision to continue a line of research depends on several factors, including the potential for further discoveries, the availability of funding and resources, and the impact and relevance of the research in the scientific community. It would be beneficial to evaluate the current findings and consider how they contribute to the overall understanding of the topic before deciding to continue or switch to a different research direction.