Centre of gravity,centre of charge

• Thread starter Kolahal Bhattacharya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the centre of mass is a useful concept in mechanics because of mass's quality of inertia, while the centre of charge is only useful in cases of symmetrical charge distribution. This is because charge does not have an equivalent to inertia and the Coulomb force is the main factor when dealing with charge. The difference between the two subjects lies in how they are affected by different types of forces and how their respective centres are calculated.
Kolahal Bhattacharya
In mechanics, we often use centre of centre of mass,but, I have never found anywhere to consider centre of charge even in problems of symmetrical charge distribution.Where is the difference of the two subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolahal Bhattacharya said:
In mechanics, we often use centre of centre of mass,but, I have never found anywhere to consider centre of charge even in problems of symmetrical charge distribution.Where is the difference of the two subjects?
Interesting question.

Mass has two important aspects in physics: inertia and gravity. The centre of mass is useful because mass has the quality of inertia. We don't often care about the gravitational attraction force between two masses as it is so small. The centre of mass of a system of mass is a useful concept in determining how a system of masses will move in response to forces.

Charge has no equivalent to inertia. It is the Coulomb force that we are interested it when it comes to charge. The geometric centre of charge is not particularly useful unless the charge is symetrically distributed about a point (ie a uniformly charged sphere). Then we can treat the sphere as a point charge located at its centre. Otherwise the centre of charge distribution is not particularly useful. We have to analyse the forces based on the actual distribution of charge.

AM

Another way of looking at it:

mass (or charge) is the sum of m_i * (r_i)^0 .

the mass center is found by "normalizing" the sum of m_i * (r_i)^1 .
When you do that with charge, you get the dipole moment q_i * r_i .

The big difference is that all masses are positive,
so the mass monopole (r^0) term almost always dominates the situation.

Charges can be positive or negative ...
when the monopole term (Q_total) is zero, it can't dominate ...
so the dipole term (r^1) dominates [over quadrupole, octopole...].

What is the centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed, meaning that it will not tip or fall in any direction.

How is the centre of gravity calculated?

The centre of gravity is calculated by finding the weighted average of all the individual points of mass in an object. This can be done by dividing the total torque (force x distance) by the total weight of the object.

Why is the centre of gravity important?

The centre of gravity is important because it affects the stability and balance of an object. If an object's centre of gravity is too high or too low, it can cause it to tip or fall over. It is also important in determining how an object will behave when subjected to external forces, such as gravity or acceleration.

What is the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass?

The centre of gravity and centre of mass are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. The centre of gravity refers to the point where the weight of an object is evenly distributed, while the centre of mass refers to the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed. In most cases, they are located at the same point, but in some cases where there is a varying gravitational field, they may differ.

What is the centre of charge?

The centre of charge is the point at which the total electrical charge of an object is considered to be concentrated. It is similar to the centre of gravity, but instead of weight, it takes into account the electrical charge of an object. It is an important concept in electrostatics and can be calculated in a similar manner to the centre of gravity.