When Will Ships P & Q Be Closest to Each Other?

• Thread starter dopey9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ships
In summary, two ships, P and Q, are traveling due East at 30 km/h and due South at 40 km/h, respectively. At t=0, they are each 10 km from the point of intersection of their courses and moving towards the point. The coordinates of Q relative to P at t=0 are (10,10)km and the velocity of Q relative to P is (-30,40)km/h. The task is to find the time at which P and Q are closest to each other by finding the equation of the trajectory of Q with respect to P and then finding the point on that line closest to point P.
dopey9
A ship P is traveling due East at 30 km/h and a Ship Q is traveling due South at 40 km/h.
Both ships keep constant speed and course. At t=0 they are each 10 km from the point of intersection of their courses and moving towards the point.

Iv found the co-ordinates of Q relative to P at t=0
---->X=(10,10)km

iv also found the velocity of Q relative to P----> V= V[Q] -V[P]
-----.V= (0,40) - V(30,0)
----- V= (-30,40)km/h

but I am struggling to find the time at which P and Q are closest to each other...is there anyone that can help? thankz

Physics news on Phys.org
Find an expression for the distance between the ships as a function of time and minimise that with respect to time.

dopey9 said:
Iv found the co-ordinates of Q relative to P at t=0
---->X=(10,10)km
OK.

----- V= (-30,40)km/h
V[Q] = (0, -40)

but I am struggling to find the time at which P and Q are closest to each other
The trajectory of Q with respect to P is just a straight line. Write the equation of that line and then find the point on that line closest to point P. (There are several ways to do that.)

can i just confirm that are these parts right that i answered before...because i wasnt too show whether a negitive sign is requied with the 10 coz of the direction?:
"Iv found the co-ordinates of Q relative to P at t=0
---->X=(10,10)km

----- V= (-30,40)km/h "

neutrino said:
Find an expression for the distance between the ships as a function of time and minimise that with respect to time.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your use of minimize, but there is no need for calculus here.

For the topic creator, you are pretty close and really just need to resolve your new vectors in a single linear equation. Then once you have your distance and velocity you know that a change in distance over a change in velocity is time.

dopey9 said:
"Iv found the co-ordinates of Q relative to P at t=0
---->X=(10,10)km
Right.

----- V= (-30,40)km/h "
Wrong. (As I pointed out earlier.)

1. When will ships P & Q be closest to each other?

The closest approach of ships P & Q depends on a variety of factors, such as their initial positions, speeds, and routes. It is not possible to predict an exact date or time for when they will be closest to each other.

2. What determines the distance between ships P & Q when they are closest to each other?

The distance between ships P & Q when they are closest to each other is determined by their relative positions, speeds, and directions. It can also be affected by external factors such as ocean currents and winds.

3. How can we calculate the closest approach of ships P & Q?

The closest approach of ships P & Q can be calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account their initial positions, speeds, and routes. This can provide an estimate of when they will be closest to each other.

4. Is there a way to track the movement of ships P & Q to determine when they will be closest to each other?

Yes, there are various tracking methods that can be used to monitor the movement of ships P & Q and predict when they will be closest to each other. These include radar, GPS, and other navigational technologies.

5. What are some factors that can affect the closest approach of ships P & Q?

Some factors that can affect the closest approach of ships P & Q include their speed, direction, and route, as well as external factors such as weather conditions and ocean currents. Changes in any of these variables can impact the distance between the two ships when they are closest to each other.