How to determine numerically the diode current

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the diode current I(D) for t<0 and t>0, focusing on its working point. By considering open and short circuits, values for I(D) are obtained and plotted on a graph to find the working point at V_D = 0.9 V and I_D = 2.0 mA. An alternative method using the equation Y=mX+C is also mentioned.
teng125
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qhojgm

can anybody pls show me how to determine numerically the diode current
I(D) for t<0 and t>0

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, there is NO given time-dependent information. Why do you want I(D) for t<0 and t>0? I assume you want the I(D) for the diode's working point.

It would be better understood if we plug in some values. Here we go:

Diode1.jpg

Given:

[tex]R_{1}=R_{2}=R_{3}=100\Omega[/tex]

[tex]I_{0}=24\ mA[/tex]

By considering the open (oc) and short circuits (sc), you will obtain two values where:

[tex]I_{oc}=0[/tex] as [tex]V_{oc}=V_{Th}=1.2\ V[/tex]

[tex]I_{sc}=\frac{V_{Th}}{R_{Th}}=8.0\ mA[/tex]

Here is the I-V source characteristic, the red line:

I-V_Characteristic_1A.jpg

Now, if the characteristic of the diode is given by

Diode_Equation1.jpg

Then plotting the characteristic on the same graph gives the green line:

I-V_Characteristic_1B.jpg

A. Graphically
So you know that the intersection is the working point for the diode and there you can write down the value of [tex]V_{D}=0.9\ V[/tex] and [tex]I_{D}=2.0\ mA[/tex].

B. Numerically
Find the equation of the I-V source characteristic using the famous [tex]Y=mX+C[/tex] where you will expect C = 0.008 A and and negative slope m. Then, solving the simultaneous equations proves the values obtained in A. That's simple.

Last edited:

I can provide you with the following steps to determine the diode current numerically:

1. Begin by understanding the characteristics of a diode. A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in one direction and blocks it in the opposite direction.

2. For t<0, the diode is considered to be in reverse bias, meaning the voltage applied to it is in the opposite direction of the current flow. In this case, the diode current (I(D)) is assumed to be zero.

3. For t>0, the diode is considered to be in forward bias, meaning the voltage applied to it is in the same direction as the current flow. In this case, the diode current can be determined using the diode equation:

I(D) = I_s (e^(V_D/nV_T) - 1)

where I_s is the reverse saturation current, V_D is the voltage across the diode, n is the ideality factor (typically around 1 for silicon diodes), and V_T is the thermal voltage (approximately 26 mV at room temperature).

4. Substitute the values of I_s, V_D, n, and V_T into the diode equation to calculate the diode current at t>0.

5. If you have a circuit with multiple diodes, you can use Kirchhoff's current law to determine the total current in the circuit. This can help you determine the individual currents for each diode.

6. Alternatively, you can also use a multimeter to measure the current in the circuit and compare it to the calculated value to verify your results.

I hope this helps you determine the diode current numerically. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. How does a diode work?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a P-N junction, where the P side has an excess of positively charged particles and the N side has an excess of negatively charged particles. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode allows current to flow. However, in the reverse direction, the diode acts as an insulator and prevents current from flowing.

2. What is the equation for diode current?

The equation for diode current is I = I0(eV/VT - 1), where I is the current, I0 is the reverse saturation current, V is the voltage across the diode, and VT is the thermal voltage (approximately 26 mV at room temperature).

3. How do you determine the diode current experimentally?

To determine the diode current experimentally, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current across the diode. By varying the voltage and recording the corresponding current values, you can plot a voltage-current (V-I) curve. The slope of this curve at a specific voltage represents the diode's current at that voltage.

4. What factors affect diode current?

The main factors that affect diode current are the forward voltage, temperature, and the material and doping used in the diode's construction. Higher forward voltage and temperature can increase the diode current, while different materials and doping levels can also affect the current.

5. How can diode current be controlled?

Diode current can be controlled by varying the voltage or by using a resistor in series with the diode. Additionally, using a diode with a different material or doping level can also affect the current. In some applications, diodes can also be used in combination with other components, such as transistors, to control the current more precisely.