An equation with a proportion in it

• Thread starter Adder_Noir
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion revolves around finding a formula for accurately setting the pitch angle of the Destroyer's deck guns. The formula for acquiring the angle has been successfully determined, but the issue lies in finding a better way to measure the pitch angle. The game's provided gauge is deemed insufficient, but there is hope in using the range setting. By adjusting the range, the sight moves up or down without altering the angle, but there is a non-linear scale to consider. The conversation ends with the mention of possible air resistance affecting the shells' trajectory and the promise to share a document detailing the findings.
Adder_Noir
Dear All,

After the great help I received last time I couldn't think of a better place to be asking this question.

Thanks to you guys the formula for acquiring the angle for the Destroyer's deck guns is now well in place and seems to be bringing back nice results under calculator tests.

However I have another (and the last) problem to deal with. To accurately set the pitch angle of the deck guns I'll need something better than the crude gauge provided by the game's manufacturers. Hope is here however in the form of the range setting.

One can adjust the range of the sight using two keys - one for greater, one for less - and it moves the sight up or down without altering the angle of the deck gun for compensation purposes.

I checked it out against a distant object (whose distance from the ship I've measured accurately for later use) and found that when you align the sights on the top of the building at 0 degrees, and compensate downwards to the base of the building the range increases from 10m to 2120m. The next time (a direct repeat of this) it goes from 2120-3720m and then from 3720-5070m. So there's a difference of:

2110m Pass 1
1600m Pass 2
1350m Pass 3

Which means I presume there is some kind of proportion involved in the equation.

So what I'm after is another formula which is more simple this time as it doesn't involved trig, which allows gunners to accurately set their pitch angle using the range readout. Problem being as I've just described it's not a linear scale. Has anyone got any ideas as to how I could go about this? I'm not asking you to do the work, just shove me in the right direction :wink:

Thanks again :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've just checked and acording to the calculations it should be a linear scale. The required angle for a flat shot for 6,000m is twice that of
3,000m and so on.

It would appear that there is some form of non-linearity in the game's behaviour here. If find anything else out I'll let you know.

Just thought I'd let you know what's been going on. It appears the programmers have included a form of air resistance which retards shells whilst they're in the air. This would explain the behaviour exhibited:rolleyes: When I've figured it all out I'll write a document detailing it all and I'll host it on the web so you have a look at it. If I get stuck again I'll be back on here to bother you all:wink:

Thanks again.

What is an equation with a proportion?

An equation with a proportion is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two quantities that are proportional to each other. It contains two ratios or fractions that are equal to each other.

How do you solve an equation with a proportion?

To solve an equation with a proportion, you can use the cross multiplication method. This involves multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction and setting the two products equal to each other.

What are the steps for solving an equation with a proportion?

The steps for solving an equation with a proportion are:

1. Write the equation with the proportion using two fractions
  2. Cross multiply by multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction
  3. Set the two products equal to each other
  4. Solve the resulting equation
  5. Check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation

What are some real-life examples of equations with proportions?

One real-life example of an equation with a proportion is calculating the amount of ingredients needed to make a recipe. For example, if a recipe calls for 2 cups of flour for every 1 cup of sugar, you can use an equation with a proportion to determine the amount of flour needed for a different amount of sugar.

Why are equations with proportions important?

Equations with proportions are important because they allow us to represent and solve real-world problems that involve proportional relationships. They are also used in various fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to describe and analyze physical phenomena.