Please confirm that I am right

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
Just keep practicing and you'll eventually get rid of the n00bness.In summary, the conversation revolves around rewriting a given equation to form the formula of a circle and determining the coordinates of its center and the radius. The process involves manipulating the equation and using the properties of circles. The output of the process is the center coordinates of (-2, -1/2) and the radius of 1/sqrt(2). The speaker made a mistake in the last step and was advised to practice more to improve their skills.
lo2
We have got:

[tex]x^2+4x+y^2+y+4=0[/tex]

Which we have to rewrite so that it becomes the formula of the circle and then determine the coordinates of the center of the circle and the radius.

So I do the following:

[tex]x^2+4x+y^2+y+4=0 \Leftrightarrow x^2+4x+4+y^2+y+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\Leftrightarrow (x+2)^2+(y+\frac{1}{2})^2[/tex]

Then the center has got the following coordinates (-2,-½) and the radius is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

The book however says something diffrent but am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
lo2 said:
We have got:

[tex]x^2+4x+y^2+y+4=0[/tex]

Which we have to rewrite so that it becomes the formula of the circle and then determine the coordinates of the center of the circle and the radius.

So I do the following:

[tex]x^2+4x+y^2+y+4=0 \Leftrightarrow x^2+4x+4+y^2+y+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\Leftrightarrow (x+2)^2+(y+\frac{1}{2})^2[/tex]

Then the center has got the following coordinates (-2,-½) and the radius is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

The book however says something diffrent but am I right?
.5 times .5 does not equal .5, so that answer can not be right.

lo2 said:

You made a mistake in the last step. Check again what's
[tex](y+\frac{1}{2})^2[/tex].

And you forgot to write the equal sign in the last step.

I am a n00b. Why do I make such stupid mistakes those are mistakes that n00bs would make. I just cannot stand making such stupid mistakes please someone help me get rid of the n00bness.

Screwing up is a good thing in this case. Just learn from your mistakes, so you don't make `m again. Practice a lot so you can make lots of mistakes to learn from. The difference between n00b and and someone who's mastered the material is that the master has already made all the mistakes in the past, so he doesn't make them again.

1. What does it mean to "confirm that I am right"?

Confirming that you are right means that someone else is acknowledging and agreeing with your statement, belief, or opinion.

2. Why do people ask for confirmation that they are right?

People may ask for confirmation to validate their thoughts and ideas, to gain confidence in their beliefs, or to ensure that they are not mistaken.

3. How do you confirm that someone is right?

To confirm that someone is right, you can agree with their statement, provide supporting evidence, or ask for clarification to fully understand their perspective.

4. Is it important to confirm that someone is right?

It can be important to confirm that someone is right in certain situations, such as when making important decisions or when gathering information for research or studies. However, in casual conversations, it may not be as crucial.

5. What if the person is not right? How do you respond?

If the person is not right, it is important to respond respectfully and provide evidence or counterarguments to support your viewpoint. It is also important to listen and consider their perspective before responding. Avoid getting into confrontations and instead focus on finding a resolution or understanding.