Ow, my neck, my neck and my back.

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed yesterday, so quit whining!Yeah, I bet it does. :) It sounds like you're in a lot of pain right now. What did the dentist say about the tooth removal?They said that all my teeth were healthy and there wasn't anything wrong with them. They just wanted to take them out because they were becoming impacted.That's great news!Do you have any painkillers?I took some painkillers a few hours ago, but they don't seem to be doing much.It sounds like you might need to see a doctor. analgesics like ibuprofen can help with pain, but they won't cure the problem
mattmns
I don't know what happened, I must have slept wrong or something, but my neck and back are killing me, mostly my neck. Seems like I have to slightly lean my neck to the right, whenever I lean it to the left it hurts a little. I don't feel it is serious enough to warrant a doctor's visit, but it is just a little sore. I took some pain reliever a few hours ago, but it seems to have done very little. Any tips/ideas to ease the pain? :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
I don't know what happened, I must have slept wrong or something, but my neck and back are killing me, mostly my neck. Seems like I have to slightly lean my neck to the right, whenever I lean it to the left it hurts a little. I don't feel it is serious enough to warrant a doctor's visit, but it is just a little sore. I took some pain reliever a few hours ago, but it seems to have done very little. Any tips/ideas to ease the pain? :grumpy:
I hate that when that happens. Applying a heating pad might relax the muscles.

Yeah from your description a heat pad sounds like a good suggestion

I had a pain in my neck once and I had to lean it to one side for it to not hurt. It had something to do with stuffing up one of my facet joints.

Anyway to cut a long story short I put ice on it when I should have applied heat and I had the most severe and intense pain. I couldn't move the pain was so bad. Whenever I tell that story to people they usually laugh hysterically because it was done in a sport that you wouldn't really think you could get injured.

big man said:
It had something to do with stuffing up one of my facet joints.
:confused: Wut?

Whenever I tell that story to people they usually laugh hysterically because it was done in a sport that you wouldn't really think you could get injured.
You must tell.

Chess? :tongue2:

Matt, you shouldn't have made yourself that tired at PF contributors' party!:wink:

haha chess...no it wasn't that. It is actually something that can be classed as a sport. It was table tennis (all the people I know don't class it as a sport though).

After I applied ice I had to go to the hospital to find out what was wrong (the GP wasn't open) and the doctor said that I'd injured my facet joint.
I think it's something that connects vertebrae or something like that. That has to be one the strangest things that has happened to me.

Sounds exactly like a pinched nerve. You could go to a decent Chiropractor and (s)he will tell you what's what.

Two years ago, I woke up once and moved a little bit and had an insanely sharp pain in my neck. It took me about 30 minutes to get up, and I fell down a few times when my neck moved the wrong way because the pain was so severe and focused that I couldn't really control anything else... Anyway, I went to the chiropractor and he adjusted my neck slightly. It felt better after that... Then every few days I would go in and have it adjusted until it was perfect. Also, it was bassically free through my insurance... Woot

Oh, and from my experience, chiropractors who use the gonstead method are better (ehh, the method is better I mean).

I would do yoga if I were you. I find it straightens everything out and releases a lot of tension that can be stored within our bodies. Its amazing I have got this one routin and once you've done the one side of your body you feel like that side is lower to the ground and feels so much better than the other side. Then after you have done the entire routine you feel great.

Every now and then, like 4 times a year max I get this... well it isn't really pain, but just this strong uncomfortable feeling just under my right knee, it doesn't matter if I'm sitting or standing or laying down or anything and it persists for hours.

It's weird :-/.

Stiff neck? Please: I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed yesterday, so quit whining!

Probably just a knotted muscle. I've had that happen, and it hurts like heck for a day or two, but then goes away on its own. Hot compresses or hot showers should help relax the muscle. In the meantime, just don't turn your head in directions that hurt.

I would only be concerned if it was accompanied by a headache, and the direction that hurt was bending your head forward toward your chin. That's a sign of meningitis and needs immediate medical attention. If it's just a side-to-side thing, more likely a tense muscle, possibly even one in your shoulder that is making you feel it in both your neck and back.

I don't know what pain reliever you chose, but I've found that ibuprofen works the best for muscle aches like that.

And since Russ is feeling left out of all the sympathy...awwwww...poor Russ. :biggrin: *pours an assortment of soups into Russ' hard drive* Though, I had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once, and the one time I had a knotted up muscle in my neck definitely hurt far worse than the wisdom teeth (mostly, just my jaw muscles ached from them trying to stretch my mouth so far open to get at the teeth when I had that done; I didn't even need ibuprofen for it, let alone the prescription they gave me).

Moonbear said:
And since Russ is feeling left out of all the sympathy...awwwww...poor Russ. :biggrin: *pours an assortment of soups into Russ' hard drive*
Thanks. Yeah, I'm always trying to work the sympathy angle, even if it doesn't actually hurt very much.

And my mom brought me lots of soup. :biggrin:

Ouch, that sounds painful Russ! Today my neck has not been bothering me as much, I think it will be back to normal tomorrow :smile:

1. Why does my neck and back hurt?

There are many possible reasons for neck and back pain, including poor posture, muscle strain, injury, or underlying medical conditions. It's best to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

2. How can I relieve neck and back pain?

There are several ways to alleviate neck and back pain, such as practicing good posture, stretching, using heat or ice therapy, taking over-the-counter pain medication, or seeking professional treatment from a physical therapist or chiropractor.

3. Can stress cause neck and back pain?

Yes, stress and tension can contribute to muscle tightness in the neck and back, leading to pain and discomfort. Finding ways to manage and reduce stress, such as through exercise, relaxation techniques, or therapy, can help alleviate symptoms.

4. When should I see a doctor for neck and back pain?

If the pain is severe, lasts for more than a few days, or is accompanied by other symptoms such as numbness, weakness, or fever, it's important to seek medical attention. These could be signs of a more serious underlying condition that requires treatment.

5. How can I prevent neck and back pain in the future?

To prevent neck and back pain, it's important to maintain good posture, engage in regular exercise and stretching, avoid repetitive movements or positions that strain the neck and back, and practice stress management techniques. It's also crucial to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.