Switching to Broadband: Is 512 Mbps Good Enough?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the individuals in this conversation are discussing a potential upgrade from DSL to broadband, with a download speed of 512KB, for $50 USD per month. They also mention the importance of checking for an upspeed and bandwidth cap, as well as having a firewall for security. One person shares their positive experience with upgrading to broadband, while another mentions the addictive nature of it. The conversation concludes with a warning to have proper security measures in place.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i want to change my connection to broad band,"it has just
arrived in my area", can anyone tell me what this would
involve, I am told the maximum download speed will be 512
is that good?
thanks for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My DSL connection has a download rate of 1.5MB and upload of 256KB. This services costs $50 USD per month.

If 512KB is the best that is offered in your neighborhood and the price is good, then I would get it. You'll never want to go back to standard dialup again.

i took the plunge and am about to upgrade to BB,
as luck would have it the tiscali computers had
a glitch as i was filling in the online form, and
it went through with errors, now i have the trauma
of contacting them via land line and listening to music
and automated messages, isn't the computer age wonderful.
thanks for advice I'm sure the pain will be worth it.

also make sure you know the upspeed, and ask if there's a bandwidth cap. most do it monthly, such as 30 gig a month. some do it daily, mine is 1 gig a day.

also ask what happens if you go over the cap.

Ive done it, it was painless and simple even for me, the joy
of rapid downloads is mine, i have done the tests suggested
and i have no limits, an extra free download eliminated all
the unnecessary plug ins, and now PDFs are almost instant.
thank you all i am so happy.

I've been on broadband for the last 6 months, until my recent move...my dial-up experience lasted an entire day before I broke down and got DSL. I just couldn't go back...it is like an addiction!

Broadband is great, very fast.

But don't forget to get a firewall. Windows XP has a built-in firewall you can activate. And make sure your Anti-Virus programs are up to date.

Firewalls are for sissies.

Y0Ur C0mPUtEr H4$ b3en H@Ck3d. oWned! mU4h@H@H4

1. What is broadband and how does it differ from other internet connections?

Broadband is a type of internet connection that is high-speed and continuous, meaning that it is always connected and does not require a dial-up connection. This differs from other types of internet connections, such as dial-up or DSL, which may be slower and have a limited amount of time that can be used.

2. Is 512 Mbps considered a good speed for broadband?

512 Mbps is a relatively fast speed for broadband, and it can typically handle activities like streaming videos and playing online games without any issues. However, it may not be sufficient for households with multiple devices or heavy internet usage. It is always recommended to assess your household's needs and consider getting a higher speed if necessary.

3. Can I upgrade my broadband speed if I find 512 Mbps to be inadequate?

Yes, most internet service providers offer different speed options for broadband, and you can upgrade your speed at any time by contacting your provider. Keep in mind that higher speeds may come with a higher price, so consider your budget and internet usage before upgrading.

4. Are there any other factors besides speed that I should consider when switching to broadband?

Yes, speed is just one aspect to consider when switching to broadband. You should also research the reliability and customer service of different providers, as well as any data caps or limitations on usage. It's important to choose a provider that meets your needs in all aspects, not just speed.

5. Can I switch to broadband if I live in a rural area?

It depends on the availability of broadband infrastructure in your area. Some rural areas may have limited options for broadband, while others may not have it at all. It's best to check with your local internet service providers to see what options are available in your specific area.