Understanding Forces on a Box: Basic Physics Question"

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the forces acting on a small box placed on top of a larger box. The forces discussed include Fn (normal force), Fg (gravitational force), Fa (applied force), and Ff (static friction). It is clarified that the force of static friction acts on the larger box, not the smaller one, resulting in a revised list of forces: Fn, Fg, and Fs (force of static friction).
MattsVai
Hi everyone! This is my first post so I thought it appropriate to start with a basic question and not give u guys a hard time :) ehehe

So imagine u have 1 box resting on a larger box. A force is applied to this larger box and the smaller box moves with the larger box without slipage.

My question is, if I were to draw up the FBD, what forces are being applied on the small box apart from Fn and Fg?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Well isn't that it?? Apart from a rediculously small amount of drag, which force do you suppose is keeping the small box from sliding off the larger one? that's your hint..

Well, I am thinking apart from Fn + Fg there is a friction force keeping that small box stationary on top of the larger box. If that is the case there must be a balancing force because technically the small box is relatively stationary. So this means that we also have the applied force Fa on the small box too?

This results in 4 forces: Fn, Fg, Fa, Ff

Am I on the right track?

o:)

You are right to think that there is an equal/opposite of the static friction on the small box, but that force acts on the big box.
So, a revised list would be:
Fn,Fg,Fs where Fs=force of static friction

Makes sense... thanks a bunch :)

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them.

2. What are the main principles of physics?

The main principles of physics include the laws of motion, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and gravity. These principles help to explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives, from the technology we use, such as computers and smartphones, to the transportation we rely on, such as cars and airplanes. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the motion of objects.

4. What are the different branches of physics?

There are several branches of physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These branches focus on different aspects of the physical world and help us understand the universe in different ways.

5. How can I improve my understanding of basic physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of basic physics concepts, it is essential to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You can also read textbooks, watch educational videos, and participate in hands-on experiments to deepen your understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.