Solving Statistics Questions with Steps: Q1-4

• Thread starter NickLippy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with four statistics questions. They mention using the binomial or poisson distribution formulas but are having trouble getting the correct answers. The questions involve finding probabilities for various scenarios, including the probability of exactly two defects in a sample, the probability of more than two breakdowns in a 24-hour period, and the probability of a certain number of people arriving at a bank in a minute. The expert suggests using specific equations and methods to solve each question. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
NickLippy
Statistic Question!

I have these four questions I'm having trouble solving...
Could anyone write the solutions, but with steps on how they did it so I can possibly learn! Thanks a lot

I'm pretty sure they use the binomial or poisson distribution formulas... can't get proper answers

1. In a large shipment of chips, 5% are defective. What is the probability that exactly two out of a sample of ten are defective?

2. On average, a system breaks down every 50hrs. Find the probability of more than two break-downs in a 24hr period.

3. Show that there are more families of 6 children split 4-2 than those with 3 boys and 3 girls.

4. People arrive at a bank at the rate of 60 per hour. Find the chance of getting 0,1,2 or 3 in the next minute.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how I would to do it.
1. Let p=0.05 q=.95. Do a binomial of (10 choose 2)x p^2 x q^8
You need the number of ways to arrange 2 defects in 10 trials multiplied by the probabilty of each event, ie. two defects.
2. Need to convert the Lamba given to one that represents a breakdown per 24 hr period. Here Lamda is 1 per 50 hour period. That represents a lamda of 12/25 per 24 hr period. Now find the probability of no breakdowns, 1 breakdown, and 2 breakdowns in a 24 hr period and then subtract that from 1 leaves probability of more than 2.
3. No sure, but on first glance seems like showing that 6 choose 4 is larger than 6 choose 3. I would check on this though.
4. Same as 2. Convert the lambda to a mean for 1 minute and use Poisson distribution.

4. Same as 2. Convert the lambda to a mean for 1 minute and use Poisson distribution.

so would lambda be 1/60 and after I find the chance of getting 3 in the next minute... that's the chance of 3 not coming in the next minute? so I subtract that from 1 to get 3 coming in the next minute?

Thanks a lot for the help

Yeah use lamda as 1/60. Then it is just a case of finding probability for X=0 X=1 X=2 X=3. 1-P(x=3) is the chance of any number of people in the next minute other than 3 people, but they are not asking you for that. Just plug in x=i i=0,1,2,3 and youre done. You should have four different probabilities corresponding to each part.

THANKS!
I get it...

1. How do I start solving a statistics question?

The first step in solving a statistics question is to carefully read and understand the question. Make sure to note down any given information and the type of question (e.g. descriptive, inferential, etc.). This will help guide your approach and determine which statistical methods to use.

2. What are the common steps involved in solving a statistics question?

The steps involved in solving a statistics question may vary depending on the type of question, but generally include: identifying the problem, collecting and organizing data, choosing an appropriate statistical method, performing calculations, interpreting the results, and drawing conclusions.

3. How do I choose the right statistical method to use?

Choosing the right statistical method depends on the type of data you have and the type of question you are trying to answer. For example, if you have numerical data and want to compare two or more groups, you may use a t-test. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of each method before using it.

4. Can you show me an example of solving a statistics question with steps?

Sure, let's say you are given a set of data and asked to find the mean and standard deviation. The steps would include: 1) organizing the data, 2) calculating the sum of the values, 3) dividing the sum by the number of values to find the mean, and 4) using the formula for standard deviation to find the measure of variability. You can then interpret the results to draw conclusions about the data.

5. Are there any tips for solving statistics questions efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving statistics questions efficiently include: 1) breaking down the question into smaller parts, 2) using calculators or computer software to perform calculations, 3) double-checking your work, and 4) practicing with different types of questions to become familiar with the steps and methods involved. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific question or concept.