Optimizing Motorbike Jump Over Slope: Solving for Minimum Speed

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum speed a motorbike needs to safely cross a ditch, with given dimensions and angle of approach. The conversation includes equations of motion and attempts at a solution using the range equation and the assumption that the jump is successful if the rear tire reaches the edge of the bank at the opposite side. The final answer is given to be 32 ft/s in the book, while the conversation presents a calculation of 27.42 ft/s. Possible sources of error are discussed.
f(x)

Homework Statement

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2847/img1dy7.jpg shows an 11.7 ft wide ditch with approach roads at an angle of 15 degrees.With what minimum speed should a motorbike be moving on a road so that it safely crosses the ditch.Assume the length of the bike to be 5 ft, and it leaves the road when the front part runs out of the approach road.
(in the figure, I've shown only 1 angle as 15 deg but both are 15)

Homework Equations

equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the velocity be v
[tex]v_x[/tex]=vcos15
[tex]v_y[/tex]=vsin15
i've used the fact that the time the bike stays in air above the roads should be the time it sould take to cross the distance of the ditch
then,
0=[tex]v^2*sin15+2gh[/tex]
or h=(v^2*(sin15)^2)/2g
After this, [tex]v_y[/tex]=0, so the bike falls
using s=ut+0.5gt^2
i get,
t=vsin15/g
So, total time= 2vsin15/g

This the time it takes to cover horizontal dist
so,
vcos15*2vsin15/g=11.7
[tex]v^2[/tex]sin30/g=11.7
g=32.15 ft/s^2

solving i get v=27.42 ft/s

But in my book, the answer is given to be 32 ft/s

Can any1 please post the error in this problem,or a simpler method ?
Thanks

PS: Sorry for my poor latex and drawing skills, but i think that i made myself clear :tongue:

Attachments

• img1.JPG
    img1.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 404
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
got it finally
i used length to be 11.7, but should have taken it to be 16.7 ft
Still I am getting 32.7 ft/s but i think this much error is permissible, specially due to conversion of g in terms of ft/s^2

Anyways if any1 of u has a better soln., do put it up here

The first answer you got is the same when using the range equation

[tex]R = \frac{v_o ^2 \sin(\theta _o)}{g}[/tex]

My approach to it is to assume that the jump is just successfull if the rear tyre reaches the edge of the bank at the opposite side. Assuming that the bike do not rotate during the jump the x-distance the front wheel covers will then be

[tex]11.7 + 5\cos(15^o)[/tex]

from this the jump time will be

[tex]\frac{17.11}{v_o}[/tex]

the front wheel will then be

[tex]5\sin(15^o)[/tex]

up in the air at touch down on the opposite side. This then gives one a launch speed of 38.7 feet per second according to my calculations.

What is the "Cycle over slope problem"?

The "Cycle over slope problem" refers to a mathematical problem where a cyclist needs to ride up and down a series of slopes, with the goal of ending at the same elevation they started at. The challenge is to find the shortest possible route that meets these criteria.

What are some real-world applications of the "Cycle over slope problem"?

The "Cycle over slope problem" has applications in various fields, such as transportation planning, logistics, and sports. For example, it can be used to optimize the delivery routes for a fleet of vehicles or to plan a more efficient cycling race route.

What are the main factors to consider when solving the "Cycle over slope problem"?

The main factors to consider when solving the "Cycle over slope problem" include the starting and ending elevations, the number and steepness of the slopes, and the distance or time constraints. Other factors, such as wind speed and direction, can also be taken into account.

What are some common approaches to solving the "Cycle over slope problem"?

Some common approaches to solving the "Cycle over slope problem" include dynamic programming, heuristic algorithms, and mathematical optimization techniques. These methods aim to find the most efficient route by considering different combinations of slopes and evaluating their overall distance or time.

How can the "Cycle over slope problem" be solved in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, the "Cycle over slope problem" can be solved using computer algorithms and software. The input data, such as the slope elevations and distances, can be collected using GPS devices or other sensors. The resulting optimized route can then be applied in practical situations, such as transportation planning or sports event organization.