Can a 500g Glass of Water Tip or Slip?

In summary, the conversation discusses a glass of water with a mass of 500 g being pushed horizontally on a table with a base diameter of 1.5 cm and a height of 5.0 cm. The coefficient of static friction is given as 0.20 and the question is whether the glass will slip or tip. The discussion suggests using torques and a free-body diagram to solve the problem.
A_Moose

Homework Statement

A glass of water with a mass of 500 g is being pushed horizontally at thetop across a table. The base is 1.5 cm in diameter and i is 5.0 cm tall. The coefficient of static friction is 0.20. Will it slip or tip?

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems fairly basic, but for some reason I can't seem to wrap my mind around it. Just a push in the right direction, starting me off properly, would help immensely.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums Mr. Moose :tongue:

HINT: Torques :wink:

Here's a "push": Draw a Free-Body Diagram.

1. Can a 500g glass of water tip over?

Yes, a 500g glass of water can tip over if it is not balanced properly or if there is an external force acting on it.

2. What factors affect the stability of a 500g glass of water?

The shape and size of the glass, the surface it is placed on, the amount and distribution of water in the glass, and any external forces acting on it can all affect the stability of a 500g glass of water.

3. How can I prevent a 500g glass of water from tipping over?

To prevent a 500g glass of water from tipping over, make sure it is placed on a flat and stable surface, the water is evenly distributed in the glass, and it is not placed near any objects or external forces that could cause it to tip.

4. Can a 500g glass of water slip on a flat surface?

Yes, a 500g glass of water can slip on a flat surface if the surface is not completely smooth or if there are any liquids or substances on the surface that could reduce friction.

5. Is the weight of the water in the glass a determining factor in whether it tips or slips?

Yes, the weight of the water in the glass can affect its stability and increase the risk of tipping or slipping. However, there are other factors that can also play a role, such as the shape and size of the glass and the surface it is placed on.