Positive aspects of using Linux?

In summary: Linux. It's pretty easy to use, and has a lot of features baked in. It's definitely worth a shot.In summary, Linux is a free, open-source operating system that is very customizable and has a higher security rating than Windows XP. Some downsides to using Linux are that there are not as many games and specialty applications available for it, and it may be more difficult for beginners to use. Fedora is a good starting point for Linux, and there are various other distros available if you want to try something different.
SDNess
I know very little about it, but am interested in installing it on my second computer.

So what are positive aspects of using Linux? Why would I want to run it on my computer? Where can I get it to try it out? Is it easy to use? Is the software I use for Windows XP compatible or does it have its own? Anything else you have that is interesting to say please do so.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Positives: Better security, stability, speed than windows.

Negatives: Less games and speciality apps.

Why you would want to run it on your computer: It's free, very customizable and you don't have to worry about viruses.

I would try fedora to start out with. You can get it from here:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64

Fedora is very easy to use and install.

You can run a windows emulator called wine to run windows apps, but I suggest looking for native programs better.

Here are some apps you might be interested in for linux:

http://www.openoffice.org/
http://www.ximian.com/products/evolution/
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
http://xinehq.de/
http://www.xmms.org/
http://www.kdevelop.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could try the very popular Redhat, or the easy-to-use http://www.mandrake.com .

If you are welling to pay for Linux, then go with SuSE Linux

Ya, you might consider buying a distro of linux, just so you can get the user manual.

Being new to linux, its good to have an instruction manual. You can usually find redhat and mandrake at bookstores, and other distro's from your computer stores, comp usa etc.

I've had a lot of luck with both redhat and mandrake.

Well linux is a very good operating system. There are always arguments on the linux irc channel over linux and windows. I give linux the upper hand. The positive aspects of linux are: less virus troubles but you will have to update the distribution since it is open source and there are exploits; it has a great multi user function; it is free (without support). I wouldn't say that linux is har to use but i wouldn't recommend it for beginners.

There are many distributions of linux. i currently use redhat and i have a very big reference book (if you are going to use it please get the reference book_ it will make your life easier). I also have access to Suse, Debian and Mandrake. There is nothing as a better distribution, the thing is that you just have to find the one that suits you.

You cannot run windows apps in linux because it is a totally different environment. However there is lindows that tried to merge the two.

Once you are in the linux environment you will find your computer more powerful becuase you will actually know about coding (as the linux gurus say: what windows user knows about coding). There are many other advantages that come with using linux that you just have to try it to experience it. There is also Phlak which allows you to use linux without even installing it (as seen on Techtv).

Its good that you are interested in linux. Get other people into it too.

You can try Redhat for starters but i think that they no longer support it, or something like that. Anyway it is the linux users that make it better...

Last edited:
hey sdness if you like linux when you start running it you shouldn't code in java. c/c++ might be more appropriate. you can easily learn why.

Originally posted by cipher
hey sdness if you like linux when you start running it you shouldn't code in java. c/c++ might be more appropriate. you can easily learn why.

Why?

well you can write c in windows and in linux (qt uses c). get it, interrelation.

java works on both too.
unless you're using microsoft's especially designed and improved beyond recognition java

Last edited:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
java works on both too.
unless you're using microsoft's especially designed end improved beyond recognition java

So can Python...and many other languages...

Well, I just installed yet another different distrib of linux. Its called Lycoris Desktop/LX.

Its pretty sweet really. Its geared for the simple user, who only wants to browse the web, check email, write documents, possibly simple gaming. Its easy to install and configure, heck, my mom could probably install this thing.

And I really enjoyed how they loaded up a game of solitaire while it installed the packages. Very thougtfull of them.

I've not had much a chance to mess with it, but its pretty cool so far.

I also found a version of slackware called slax, that allows you to boot the OS from a cd. You can carry the cd with you, personal info on floppys and turn any computer you use into a linux machine. It seems to be fully functional as well, I'm not sure if you can actually install it to a HD though.

Both come with KDE preconfigured, auto detect's things like refresh rate, resolution and various hardware.

I'd suggest trying Slax out if you are new to linux and want to try it out before you partition your drive. If you like, but are still new to the linux world, you might step up to Lycoris.

both can be found at www.linuxiso.org[/URL]

thats cool megashawn because most people see linux as this upper level operating system (which i guess it is) and they see it as not being beginner friendly as windows so the distro that you have seems good.

thats cool megashawn because most people see linux as this upper level operating system (which i guess it is) and they see it as not being beginner friendly as windows so the distro that you have seems good.

Not as if Windows is the best Beginner OS, as if the user doesn't know what he is doing lots of problems occur.

well since you are on that note what do u think is the best beginner os kenikov?

well since you are on that note what do u think is the best beginner os kenikov?

Hmm..."beginner" as in simplicity and trouble-free (hard to screw it up)?

Definietly not Windows, because the complaints about the Blue Screen of Death, viruses and worms can be prevented by a competent user that knows he should frequently update patches and scan for viruses, while not opening up any attachments through Email not sent by a friend. And maybe even taking care of his hardware like undusting the inside of his chassis.

Actually, a lot of the people who complain are Mac users. Just look at the "Switch" commercials.

And yet these complainers (switchers) have absolutely no complaints on their new OS. So, I guess you can be less competent and more trouble free on something like Mac OS.

I use both. :smile:

i myself i don't like windows for viruses and so on but since it probably is the most popular os used (i don't know the stats). I would recommend newbies to use it because they would probably have lots of friends that use it. though i would advise them to stay off the internet.

Why would what your friends use have any real influence on the OS you use?

You can still Email and IM them.

well kenikov its simply a matter of learning. if i told you that i created an operating system called abxyz would u just run and use it. No. because you would like to have feedback from other users. just the same way people who don't know anything about computers, i think should start with windows because they would be in safer hands. linux in particular is for people who know what they are about.

They'd be just as safe on Macintosh.

though i would advise them to stay off the internet.

you should consider a job in marketing...

very funny Guybrush Threepwood, i hope you are very happy because what we are talking about here is people who are computer illiterate and they are just learning to use a computer. Would you advise them to go on the internet? To me its only logical that they are the ones who are most likely to download a virus. I usually run my computer with no antivirus and i don't get any viruses (lol).

Ok, I'm closing this thread because this topic has taken a wrong turn in albuquerque.

If you think I've made a mistake, please PM me and I'll make the apporiate changes.

Now stop the stupid computer user bashing and put that energy into creating easier to use software.

-David

1. What are the main benefits of using Linux?

One of the main benefits of using Linux is its open-source nature, which means that the source code is freely available for anyone to view, modify and distribute. This allows for a highly customizable and flexible operating system. Additionally, Linux is known for its stability, security, and low resource usage, making it a popular choice for servers and other computing systems.

2. How does Linux compare to other operating systems?

Linux is often praised for its reliability and security, as well as its ability to run on a wide range of hardware and devices. It also offers a large selection of free and open-source software, making it a cost-effective option. However, some users may find it less user-friendly compared to other operating systems such as Windows or macOS.

3. Is Linux suitable for everyday use?

Yes, Linux can be used for everyday tasks such as web browsing, email, document editing, and multimedia playback. There are also many user-friendly distributions (or "distros") of Linux, such as Ubuntu and Mint, which are designed for ease of use and can be easily installed on a computer.

4. What are the advantages of using Linux for programming and development?

Linux is a popular choice for programmers and developers due to its powerful command-line interface and numerous development tools and libraries. It also allows for easy customization and automation, making it a preferred platform for software development.

5. How does using Linux benefit the scientific community?

Linux offers a wide range of scientific and research software, making it a popular choice for scientists and researchers. Its stability and security also make it a reliable platform for carrying out complex computations and simulations. Additionally, the open-source nature of Linux allows for collaboration and sharing of code and data among the scientific community.