Advice for High School Senior Physics Major at UT

• Thread starter Yowhatsupt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school senior planning to major in physics at the University of Texas (UT). They are considering different areas of research and wondering if getting a master's degree before a PhD would give them an advantage in the competitive job market. The advice given is to keep an open mind and explore different areas of study before making a decision. It is also mentioned that it is common to receive a master's degree while pursuing a PhD. The conversation ends with two people realizing they may be attending UT together in the fall.
Yowhatsupt
I'm a high school senior who will be a physics major next year at UT (most likely).

I have done some reading on careers in different physics areas of research. They all seem really interesting. Just thinking about doing research makes me feel giddy. (long way off but everyone has something to look forward to).

My question is this what do you guys recommend doing? Should I get a masters before getting a phd?

I realize physics jobs at universities, and in industry are competitive, so would it give me an edge to say get a ms in medical physics and then a phd in a different area of physics? I guess I'm confused about where to go after I get my B.S.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to just keep an open mind at this point :smile: Wait until you've actually taken some classes, see what piques your interest! It's probably a bit early to make decisions about what you're going to do when you finish your B.S.

Out of curiosity, what is UT? I'm guessing Texas, but it could be Toronto, Tennessee, Timbuktu.

You're a long way off from graduate school so you have a long time to decide. Some don't even make up their mind about area of study until the end of their first year of grad school. Some schools have a lab rotation period so students get a chance to see what's going on.

Many schools also allow you to receive a Masters while you're doing your PhD since the requirements get fulfilled along the way. I'm not so sure a MS in medical physics then a PhD in a different area would make too much sense. Medical physics is pretty specialized so unless you went into a biophysics area for the PhD, I don't think this would be a good idea. I mean, if it turned out you didn't like medical physics, you should make the switch before then.

So, short story long, you have a lot of time to make up your mind. You'll be influenced by various factors along the way so you don't really want to have your mind made up right now.

A helpful thread might be the "So you want to be a physicist" topic, starting at about post #94. Zapper describes the whole process nicely.

Good luck!

Almost nobody in Physics gets an MS and then a PhD. Most medium to big physics departments rarely accept students that apply for an MS (unless you are paying tuition). Those students that do get an MS in physics typically start off as PhD candidates, and then either don't make it past qualifiers or voluntarily terminate partway and graduate with an MS.

Mororvia said:
Out of curiosity, what is UT? I'm guessing Texas, but it could be Toronto, Tennessee, Timbuktu.

You're a long way off from graduate school so you have a long time to decide. Some don't even make up their mind about area of study until the end of their first year of grad school. Some schools have a lab rotation period so students get a chance to see what's going on.

Many schools also allow you to receive a Masters while you're doing your PhD since the requirements get fulfilled along the way. I'm not so sure a MS in medical physics then a PhD in a different area would make too much sense. Medical physics is pretty specialized so unless you went into a biophysics area for the PhD, I don't think this would be a good idea. I mean, if it turned out you didn't like medical physics, you should make the switch before then.

So, short story long, you have a lot of time to make up your mind. You'll be influenced by various factors along the way so you don't really want to have your mind made up right now.

A helpful thread might be the "So you want to be a physicist" topic, starting at about post #94. Zapper describes the whole process nicely.

Good luck!

Haha, I'm from Texas, so UT is University of Texas at Austin.:biggrin:

I read that thread it was very interesting.

Hey, somewhat off-topic, but I'm also most likely going to be attending UT for physics in fall '07. Maybe I'll see you there!

Last edited:
gabee said:
Hey, somewhat off-topic, but I'm also most likely going to be attending UT for physics in fall '07. Maybe I'll see you there!

Where are you from?

1. What courses should I take as a high school senior physics major at UT?

As a high school senior physics major at UT, it is important to take a mix of advanced math and science courses, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer science and engineering to gain a well-rounded understanding of the field.

2. How can I prepare for college-level physics courses at UT?

To prepare for college-level physics courses at UT, it is recommended to review basic physics concepts and familiarize yourself with calculus. You can also reach out to your professors or join study groups to get a head start on the material.

3. What resources are available for physics majors at UT?

UT has a variety of resources available for physics majors, including tutoring services, research opportunities, and academic advising. You can also join clubs and organizations related to physics to connect with other students and professionals in the field.

4. What career opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, and opportunities in science communication and education. Many physics majors also pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. How can I make the most out of my physics major at UT?

To make the most out of your physics major at UT, it is important to actively participate in class, seek out research opportunities, and connect with your professors and peers. You can also attend seminars and conferences related to physics to expand your knowledge and network with professionals in the field.