What Makes the Manta Ray the Ultimate Flying Machine?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying Ray
In summary, a manta ray is a large, graceful fish with a diamond-shaped body, large fins, and long tail. They have the ability to glide through the water using their wing-like pectoral fins and can be found in warm, tropical waters around the world. They can grow up to 7 meters in width and are not considered dangerous to humans as they do not have teeth or a stinger and are not aggressive creatures. However, it is important to respect their space and observe them from a safe distance.
Physics news on Phys.org
Oooo I want one. I guess first I'll need a boat...oh yeah and a lake. Damn.

scorpa said:
Oooo I want one. I guess first I'll need a boat...oh yeah and a lake. Damn.

Get the Manta Ray, go to a popular lake on a nice day and show everyone your new toy, and I'll gaurantee that you'll have a boat. :biggrin:

1. What is a manta ray?

A manta ray is a large, graceful fish that belongs to the same family as sharks. It is known for its distinctive diamond-shaped body, large fins, and long, graceful tail.

2. How do manta rays fly?

Manta rays do not actually fly in the traditional sense, but they have the ability to glide through the water like a bird in flight. They use their large, wing-like pectoral fins to propel themselves through the water and can reach speeds of up to 24 kilometers per hour.

3. Where can I find manta rays?

Manta rays are found in warm, tropical waters around the world. They prefer shallow coastal areas, but can also be found in deeper waters. Some popular spots for manta ray sightings include the Maldives, Hawaii, and the Great Barrier Reef.

4. How big can manta rays get?

The average size of a manta ray is around 3-5 meters in width, but they can grow up to 7 meters in some cases. They can also weigh up to 1,350 kilograms, making them one of the largest fish in the ocean.

5. Are manta rays dangerous to humans?

No, manta rays are not considered dangerous to humans. They do not have teeth or a stinger and are not aggressive creatures. In fact, many divers and snorkelers seek out manta ray encounters as they are gentle and curious creatures. However, it is important to respect their space and observe them from a safe distance.