Total Distance of a Velocity Function

In summary: That cleared everything up and the integral of the absolute value of the function from 0 to 3 (which was all I needed to do) gave me 23/3.In summary, the question asks for the total distance traveled by an object starting at position x(0)=3 over the time interval [0,3]. The velocity function v(t)=4-t^2 is given. The correct approach is to find the integral of the absolute value of the velocity function from 0 to 3, which gives a total distance of 23/3. The sign change in the velocity function accounts for any doubling back and the use of a graphing calculator can help visualize the solution.
2ltben

Homework Statement

An object moves along the x-axis starting off from the initial position x(0)=3.
What is the total distance traveled by the object over the time interval [0,3].

Homework Equations

The integral of the function from 0 to a plus the absolute value of the integral of the function from a to 3, where F(a) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a number of attempts to factor out any zeroes and, finding none, I resorted to a TI-89, confirming the assumption(not good, seeing as this is an AP Cal AB no-calculator practice test, for a test which is tomorrow morning).

I don't know where I'm going wrong in my procedure, but I keep getting 3. The answer I know is 23/3, and the initial position shouldn't matter a bit since its a definite integral and will only be negated anyway. It should be a simple integral from 0 to 3 of the velocity function with respect to t, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
2ltben said:

Homework Statement

An object moves along the x-axis starting off from the initial position x(0)=3.
What is the total distance traveled by the object over the time interval [0,3].

Homework Equations

The integral of the function from 0 to a plus the absolute value of the integral of the function from a to 3, where F(a) = 0.

Can you post the question exactly as it was given to you? Is the velocity of the particle as a function of time given in the question? What's F(a)?

Stupid of me to forget the function.
v(t) = 4-t^2

The integral from zero to three of the velocity will give you the displacement, which is total net distance from the starting point.

So if you double back on yourself, your distance will continue to increase, but your displacement will decrease. So what you want is the integral of the absolute value of the velocity (note it changes signs once between zero and three)

My problem was with the sign change I guess. I refused to touch my graphing calculator and didn't think to graph the function by hand.

1. What is the total distance traveled by an object with a given velocity function?

The total distance traveled by an object with a given velocity function is the sum of all the distances traveled by the object over a given time interval. This can be calculated by finding the area under the velocity-time curve using integration.

2. How is total distance related to the velocity function?

The total distance traveled by an object is directly related to its velocity function. The velocity function tells us the rate at which the object is moving at any given time, and by integrating this function, we can find the distance traveled by the object over a specific time period.

3. Can the total distance be negative?

No, the total distance traveled by an object cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive. The negative sign in front of the velocity function indicates the direction of motion, but the total distance traveled will always be a positive value.

4. How can the total distance be calculated if the velocity function is not given?

If the velocity function is not given, the total distance can be calculated by using the average velocity of the object over the given time interval. This can be found by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

5. Is the total distance the same as the displacement of an object?

No, the total distance traveled by an object is not the same as its displacement. Displacement refers to the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of the object, while total distance includes all the distances traveled by the object, even if it changes direction.