Showing Continuous Function: Weierstrass Comparison

In summary, to show that f(x)=sum (from n=0 to infinity) cos(nx)e^-nx is a continuous function for x in the interval (0, infinity), we need to prove that the series converges uniformly. By using the Weierstrass comparison test, we can show that |cos(nx) e^-nx| is bounded by e^-nx. Since e^-nx is always less than 1 for positive n, we can use the convergent geometric series as our M_n and conclude that the series is bounded by 1 and therefore converges uniformly.
akoska
How do I show that f(x)=sum (from n=0 to infinity) cos(nx)e^-nx is a continuous function? x is from (0, infinity)

So, I need to show that the series converges uniformly. I'm trying to say that |cos nx e^-nx| <= |e^-nx| and use Weierstrass comparison, but I can't find a function M_n to use for Weierstrass.

I feel like I'm missing something really simple...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For positive [itex]n[/itex] what is [itex]e^{-nx}[/itex] always less than?

maverick280857 said:
For positive [itex]n[/itex] what is [itex]e^{-nx}[/itex] always less than?

1, but the sum of 1s is obviously not convergent.

akoska said:
1, but the sum of 1s is obviously not convergent.

Okay, let's see:

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} e^{-nx}\cos(nx)[/tex]

Clearly,

[tex]|e^{-nx}\cos(nx)| \leq e^{-nx}[/tex]

Now, as you said, [itex]e^{-nx} < 1[/itex] for all [itex]x \in (0,\infty)[/itex] and nonnegative n. So, clearly, your "[itex]M_{n}[/itex]" is simply the (convergent) geometric sum

[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} e^{-nx}[/tex]

1. What is the Weierstrass Comparison Test?

The Weierstrass Comparison Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to another known series. It states that if the series we want to test, called the "target series", is always less than or equal to another series, called the "comparison series", and the comparison series converges, then the target series also converges. Similarly, if the comparison series diverges, then the target series also diverges.

2. How is the Weierstrass Comparison Test used to show the convergence of a continuous function?

The Weierstrass Comparison Test is used to show the convergence of a continuous function by comparing it to a known convergent series. The target series in this case is the function itself, evaluated at different points, while the comparison series is a known convergent series, such as a geometric or p-series. If the function is always less than or equal to the comparison series, then it follows that the function must also converge, since the comparison series does.

3. What are the conditions for using the Weierstrass Comparison Test?

The conditions for using the Weierstrass Comparison Test are that the target series and the comparison series must both be positive and the terms of the target series must be less than or equal to the corresponding terms of the comparison series. Additionally, the comparison series must be convergent for the test to be applicable.

4. Can the Weierstrass Comparison Test be used to show the divergence of a continuous function?

Yes, the Weierstrass Comparison Test can also be used to show the divergence of a continuous function. If the function is always greater than or equal to a known divergent series, then the function must also diverge, since the comparison series does.

5. Are there any other methods for showing the convergence or divergence of a continuous function?

Yes, there are other methods for showing the convergence or divergence of a continuous function. Some popular methods include the Integral Test, the Ratio Test, and the Root Test. Each of these methods has its own conditions and applications, and the choice of which method to use depends on the specific series and function being studied.