Spin angular momentum operators

In summary, the conversation is about the dipolar coupling Hamiltonian in the lab frame and how it is expressed using the second rank Legendre function. The equation for the Hamiltonian is given and it is shown how it can be simplified to a resultant dipolar Hamiltonian.
ehrenfest
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I want to know the answer enough that I will repost the question here:

The dipolar coupling Hamiltonian expressed in the lab frame (units of Hz) is

[tex] H ^D_{ij} = - constants/r_{ij}^3 * I_{iz} * I_{jz} * P_2(\cos(\theta))[/tex]

where r_ij is the internuclear distance between spins, ci and cj are the gyromagnetic ratios of spins i and j, and I_kz are spin angular momentum operators. The angular portion of the
dipolar Hamiltonian is described using the second rank Legendre function, P_2(cos h(t)),
which is a function of the angle h subtending the magnetic field and the ijth internuclear
vector.

Somehow they go from that equation to the following one:

[tex]D^{resultant}_{ij} = constants * < P_2(cos(\theta(t))/r_{ij}^3)> [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is spin angular momentum?

Spin angular momentum is a quantum mechanical property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is responsible for the magnetic properties of particles.

2. What are spin angular momentum operators?

Spin angular momentum operators are mathematical operators that act on quantum mechanical wavefunctions to describe the spin of particles. These operators are represented by matrices and are used in calculations to determine the spin state of a particle.

3. How do spin angular momentum operators differ from orbital angular momentum operators?

Spin and orbital angular momentum operators are both used to describe the angular momentum of particles, but they differ in how they are represented mathematically. Spin operators are represented by matrices, while orbital angular momentum operators are represented by differential operators.

4. What is the relationship between spin angular momentum and magnetic moment?

Spin angular momentum and magnetic moment are closely related, as spin is responsible for the magnetic properties of particles. The magnitude of the magnetic moment is directly proportional to the spin angular momentum of a particle.

5. How does spin angular momentum affect the behavior of particles?

The spin of particles affects their behavior in various ways, including determining their magnetic properties, affecting their interactions with magnetic fields, and influencing their energy levels. Spin also plays a crucial role in determining the symmetry and stability of quantum systems.