Gravitational Charge - Equivalence between Gravitational and Inertial Mass

In summary, Newton's principle of equivalence between gravitational and inertial mass was derived through his experiments with pendulums of equal length but different masses suspended from the same point. This led to the understanding that the gravitational 'charge' is equivalent to mass and is included in the equation for gravitational force.
neutrino
Gravitational "Charge" - Equivalence between Gravitational and Inertial Mass

My mind is currently in a mess regarding the equivalence of gravitational mass and inertial mass. Yes, I know which comes in which equation and that they have been experimentally observed to be equal, etc., but I'm trying to understand why the gravitational 'charge' is considered a mass in the first place. Essentially, I want to know how Newton came up with the equation for the gravitational force and why the dimensions of mass is assigned to the M's in it. To find that out, I was reading this page in which I came across a (translation) statement by Newton.

In simple pendulums whose centers of oscillation are equally distant from the center of suspension, the quantities of matter are in a ratio compounded of the ratio of the weights and the squared ratio of the times of oscillation in a vacuum.

I would like to know what exactly he is referring to. There are two pendulums, but only one point of suspension?

If anyone knows the answer to my original questions, then please enlighten me, so that I can avoid reading the Principia and do something useful. :biggrin:

EDIT: And that's my first Golden post.

Physics news on Phys.org
neutrino said:
My mind is currently in a mess regarding the equivalence of gravitational mass and inertial mass. Yes, I know which comes in which equation and that they have been experimentally observed to be equal, etc., but I'm trying to understand why the gravitational 'charge' is considered a mass in the first place. Essentially, I want to know how Newton came up with the equation for the gravitational force and why the dimensions of mass is assigned to the M's in it. To find that out, I was reading this page in which I came across a (translation) statement by Newton.

I would like to know what exactly he is referring to. There are two pendulums, but only one point of suspension?

If anyone knows the answer to my original questions, then please enlighten me, so that I can avoid reading the Principia and do something useful.
The full explanation is found in the link you provided.

Newton was referring to two pendulums of equal length but with different masses. They would be suspended from the same 'axle'. [In three dimensional space (x,y,z with y being the vertical axis), the pendulums would oscillate in different z planes but with centres of suspension at the same x y position]. The pendulums are started from the same angular displacement. If there is a different in the ratio of mass to weight, the pendulums will have differing periods of oscillation. Newton tried it with different masses of all kinds of material and found the periods of the two pendulums to be identical over long times.

AM

Ah. Much clearer. So two pendulums with same lengths suspended from the same height above the ground. Thank you very much. :smile:

1. What is gravitational charge?

Gravitational charge, also known as gravitational mass, is a measure of the amount of gravitational force that an object experiences due to its mass. It is a fundamental property of matter and is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass.

2. How is gravitational charge related to inertial mass?

The principle of equivalence states that gravitational mass and inertial mass are equivalent. This means that the gravitational force experienced by an object due to its mass is equal to the force needed to accelerate the same object. In other words, an object's gravitational charge is directly proportional to its inertial mass.

3. What is the significance of the equivalence between gravitational and inertial mass?

This equivalence is a fundamental principle in physics and is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It allows us to understand the effects of gravity on objects and how they move in the presence of massive bodies.

4. How is the equivalence between gravitational and inertial mass tested?

One way to test this equivalence is through experiments such as the Cavendish experiment, which measures the gravitational force between two objects. Another way is through the observation of the motion of objects in a gravitational field, such as the orbit of planets around the sun.

5. Are there any exceptions to the equivalence between gravitational and inertial mass?

So far, no exceptions to this equivalence have been found. However, there are still ongoing experiments and research to further test this principle and potentially uncover any exceptions. It is a fundamental concept that continues to be studied and refined in the field of physics.