Unit vector tangential to curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for the unit vector tangential to a curve given in spherical coordinates. The differential length vector for spherical coordinates is dl = drar + rd\thetaa\theta + rsin(\theta)d\phia\phi, where ar, a\theta, and a\phi are unit vectors. By using the equations for the curve, it is determined that dr = 0 and d\phi = 2d\theta. Substituting this into the differential length vector gives rd\theta[a\theta + 2sin(\theta)a\phi]. However, this is not a unit vector and there is a need for either a cosine or a way to remove the sine in the differential length
hypn0tika
Find the expression for the unit vector tangential to the curve given in spherical coordinates by r = 1, [tex]\phi[/tex] = 2[tex]\theta[/tex], 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]

the equation for the differential length vector for spherical coordinates:
dl = drar + rd[tex]\theta[/tex]a[tex]\theta[/tex] + rsin([tex]\theta[/tex])d[tex]\phi[/tex]a[tex]\phi[/tex]
where ar, a[tex]\theta[/tex], and a[tex]\phi[/tex] are unit vectors

i used the equations for the curve to determine that:
dr = 0, d[tex]\phi[/tex] = 2d[tex]\theta[/tex]

by substituting into the differential length vector, i got:
rd[tex]\theta[/tex][a[tex]\theta[/tex] + 2sin([tex]\theta[/tex])a[tex]\phi[/tex]]
i know this is not a unit vector, but i am lost. i think there would need to be either a cosine or a way to get rid of that sine in the differential length vector equation for the expression to be a unit vector.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm lost, too. Mostly because I don't get your notation. d(phi) isn't a unit vector, it's a 1-form. And I don't have any idea what a 'differential length vector' is. Maybe somebody does, but in the meantime, have you just considered treating this as a parametric equation in cartesian coordinates and working from there?

Last edited:
my fault. when i said d(theta) and d(phi) were unit vectors i mean a(theta), a(phi).

Ok, I'm starting to get the notation. aphi e.g. is the vector [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex] etc. I would not call them unit vectors (they don't have unit length). You haven't written an expression for the tangent vector itself yet. What is it? The curve's (r,theta,phi) coordinates are (1,theta,theta*2).

What is a unit vector tangential to a curve?

A unit vector tangential to a curve is a vector that is tangent to the curve at a specific point and has a magnitude of 1. It represents the direction in which the curve is changing at that point.

How is a unit vector tangential to a curve calculated?

A unit vector tangential to a curve can be calculated by taking the derivative of the curve at a given point and normalizing the resulting vector.

Why is a unit vector tangential to a curve important?

A unit vector tangential to a curve is important because it can help us understand the direction of change of a curve at a specific point. It is also useful in applications such as physics and engineering, where curves are commonly used to represent motion and forces.

Can a unit vector tangential to a curve change as the curve changes?

Yes, the unit vector tangential to a curve can change as the curve changes. This is because the direction of the curve can change at different points, resulting in different tangent vectors.

How is a unit vector tangential to a curve used in real-world applications?

A unit vector tangential to a curve is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object moving along a curved path, or determining the direction of a force acting on an object following a curved trajectory.