Clairaut's theorem and smooth functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Clairaut's Theorem being a special case of a more general theorem regarding the existence of derivatives in the nxn Hessian matrix. The theorem in question is not named and cannot be found on Wikipedia or Mathworld. However, the speaker suspects that the proof of the theorem may begin by proving Clairaut's Theorem and then showing how the more general theorem is a direct generalization or corollary of it. The existence of derivatives in the Hessian matrix does not necessarily imply equality, only that they exist.
Simfish
Gold Member
Hello
So, my advanced calculus book (Folland) has this theorem...
If f is of class [tex]C^k[/tex] on an open set S, then...

[tex]\partial i_1 \partial i_2 ... \partial i_k f = \partial j_1 \partial j_2 \partial j_k f[/tex] on an open set S whenever the sequence [tex]{j_1 ,..., j_k}[/tex] is a reordering of the sequence [tex]{i_1 ,..., i_k}[/tex], which defines a smooth function when [tex]k = \infty[/tex]

So my question is, is Clairaut's Theorem a special case of this? (when k = 2?). Also, is the existence of derivatives in the nxn Hessian matrix logically equivalent to the conclusion of Clairaut's Theorem? Does this theorem even have a name? (I can't find it on Wikipedia or Mathworld anywhere).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see Clairaut as a special case but if you look at the proof of the theorem you stated, I suspect that it begins by proving Clairaut and then shows how your thm is a direct generalization (corollary) of it.

For your second question, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but if the Hessian matrix is well defined, it only means that the second partial derivatives all exist. It does not say anything about their being equal when they are locally continuous.

generalization and corollary aren't the same thing, quasar.

1. What is Clairaut's theorem?

Clairaut's theorem, also known as the equality of mixed partial derivatives, states that if a function has continuous second partial derivatives, then the order of differentiation does not matter and the mixed partial derivatives are equal.

2. How can Clairaut's theorem be applied in mathematics?

Clairaut's theorem is commonly used in multivariable calculus to simplify calculations involving partial derivatives. It can also be used to determine whether a given function is a smooth function.

3. What is the significance of smooth functions in mathematics?

Smooth functions are important in mathematics because they have continuous derivatives of all orders. This makes them easier to work with and allows for the use of powerful tools such as Taylor series and the Mean Value Theorem.

4. Can Clairaut's theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Clairaut's theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it can be extended to any number of variables, as long as the function has continuous partial derivatives of all orders.

5. Are there any applications of Clairaut's theorem in real-world problems?

Yes, Clairaut's theorem has numerous applications in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is often used to solve optimization problems and to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables.