How to Convert Notation for Differentiating Functions?

In summary, the homework statement is trying todifferentiate the given function y=2/x^2 -1/x^3 +1/2^3. The Attempt at a Solution says that the answer is x^(-2) and x^(-3). My book says the answer is x^(-2) and x^(-3).
fitz_calc

Homework Statement

differentiate the given function: y=2/x^2 -1/x^3 +1/2^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2(-2x^3) -1(-3x^4)
-4x^3 + 3x^4

my book says the answer is:
Untitled-10.png

how do you go from my notation to the one my book uses?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think instead of positive indices, you should have negative indices, then the step is obvious.

yes it's not x^2 it's x^(-2) and the same with x^3 should be x^(-3) since it's a fraction.

bob1182006 said:
yes it's not x^2 it's x^(-2) and the same with x^3 should be x^(-3) since it's a fraction.

ahh I used the power incorrectly, yes the exponents should both be negative. i know there is some algebra rule that states if your exponent is negative then put the x value and exponent in the denominator -- what rule is this?

*here's another example:

y+1/3sqrt(x)

i get: -1/3(x^4/3)

Book:
Untitled-12.png

why does the x^4/3 get put in the denominator?

fitz_calc said:
*here's another example:

y+1/3sqrt(x)

i get: -1/3(x^4/3)

Book:
Untitled-12.png

why does the x^4/3 get put in the denominator?
can you re-type that please.

y+?

fitz_calc said:
ahh I used the power incorrectly, yes the exponents should both be negative. i know there is some algebra rule that states if your exponent is negative then put the x value and exponent in the denominator -- what rule is this?

[tex]\frac{1}{a^n}=a^{-n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^{-n}}{b^{-m}}=\frac{b^{m}}{a^{n}}[/tex]

If you follow what rocophysics laid out for you, and rewrite your original function before attempting to take the derivative, then you'll simply need to use the power rule for finding the derivative.

If you want to leave those x's in the denominator and not use the power rule, then you'll have to use the quotient rule instead (which you'll probably learn very soon.) In this case though, the power rule requires much less thought.

cool, thanks!

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is used to determine the slope or rate of change of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and solve real-world problems.

3. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help you find the derivative of a function, which is the slope of the function at a given point.

4. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation finds the slope of a function, integration finds the area under the curve of a function. In other words, differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change, and integration is the process of finding the accumulation of change.

5. Can all functions be differentiated?

Not all functions can be differentiated. For a function to be differentiable, it must be continuous and smooth, with no sharp corners or breaks. Functions with discontinuities, such as absolute value or step functions, cannot be differentiated.